Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrownDog

Whats wrong with my sim??

Guest BrownDog

My system is as followsKs75A motherboardAMD 2.1mhz processor780MB SDRAM32mb tnt2 graphics cardI can`t understand how some of you guys are getting such incredible pictures and framerates on flightsim. I was wandering whether it has something to do with my graphics card. If i replace my current 32mb card with a 128mb card what would the difference be??? For example, if i had 3fps in a dense area such as Heathrow (with a lot of AI aircraft) how much can i expect to get with a better card, would it be significant??

Guest Van

The graphics card has everything to do with good frame rates. I have a pentium3-1gig with 512mb sdram and upgraded to a gforce4-4600ti (128mb ddr). I get anywhere from 25 to 50 frame rates per sec and thats with everything set to max. I only notice a drop to 25 when I'm at a very busy airport. I know many people with the latest and greatest pentium 4's and their frame rates are much lower then mine because they have a lower end gforce4mmx card or something similar. You definately need to upgrade your graphics card if you want to see much higher frame rates.Regards,Vanhttp://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Guest outtatimeiii

Yeah thats very true. I used to have a 8MB nVidia Vanta in this computer for the first weeks of use. FS2002 ran ok, not perfect. FPS were in the lower teens normally and went down fast as you added AI traffic (it went from normal 12-15fps to 4-6fps with traffic). Well, it WAS a definate improvement over my older machine's Voodoo Banshee, but thats another story.I recently upgraded my Vanta to a more powerful ATI Radeon 7200 64MB. For the first time EVER I could raise all options to max and AI to 100% and still have a framerate in the upper 20's. And I did nothing to the hardware, I still had my 1.2GHz CPU and 256MB RAM (I know, I know, I dont have much RAM LOL)

I'll lend some info here seeing how I just upgraded in phases. Regarding that the video card has everything to do with framerates... I'd tend to disagree on that one from my own personal upgrade, BUT it depends on what you have and intend on upgrading to. Seeing the card you have, yes that is the bottleneck.My finding on doing the upgrade in phases was the following. My old video card was a Geforce 2 Ultra 64MB coupled with a AMD 1200 Tbird running close to 1400mhz. I upgraded the videocard to a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128 MB, and gained roughly 3-5 frames at the Default Meigs startup in the Cessna Chickenhawk. Basically jumping from high teens to low Mid 20s..image quality was improved though.Phase 2 was the CPU/mobo/Ram... Upgrading to a P4 2.4b Overclocked to 2900 and some motherboard tweaking is now giving me roughly 33 frames at Meigs and a peak of 38 I have seen... the low is 29... so 33 on average. This was an 8 frame increase on the ground at Meigs in the day same old Chickenhawk. In all cases all sliders are MAX, but vis is 60 as you really don't see any further than that in the realworld anyways unless your topping out at 390 on a perfectly clear day)So as you can see, really the CPU gave the bigger increase for me, but the combination is the key.. the two together have made the sim MUCH more enjoyable being able to fly into the densest scenery around with AI traffic all around, clouds all around, and bringing that bird down to the runway without a stutter at all.Have you tried o'cing your system?? You can probably EASILY pull a few frames out of it just doing that, especially with a new vid card.Chris

Guest Van

It doesn't seem that the problem for BrownDog is his system as he has more then enough SDRAM and his processor speed is quite high. What he is lacking is a newer technology graphics card as his is quite old. The tnt2 has been around for a long time and much has changed. I too upgraded from a Gforce2 64mb ddr graphics card to a Gforce4-4600ti 128mb ddr as the card originally was fine for FS2000, but once I started using FS2002 my frame rates dropped drastically. My frame rate increase was much higher than 3-5 fps, it was well over 15 and that was with all scnenery set to max.Regards,Van L.http://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Van:I'm curious, what OS are you running? My system is similar to yours and thus far I've been quite happy with it's performance running FS 2002, though I think I will make the move from my 64MB video card to a gforce 4 128MB.Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest Van

Alex,I'm still running the system that shipped with my Dell almost 2 years ago... Windows ME. So far I haven't had any problems what so ever with my O/S and haven't felt the need to upgrade to XP.I suggest if you upgrade to the gforce4, that you opt for the ti4600 series as it is the highest end card of the series and has more features and power built in than any of the other gforce4 cards. Also Nvidia is soon to release a newer card still at I'm sure a very large price hike, so you may prefer to wait to see if you want to purchase Nvidia's newest technology or cash in on what I'm sure will be huge savings on the gforce4 ti4600.Kindest Regards,http://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Guest BrownDog

Thanks for all your input, i`ll definitely be purchasing myself a new graphics card. I`m in the UK at the moment and a Geforece TI4600 (or whatever) costs the equivalent of $300 or so. I`m off the the US in a week (travelling through Minneapolis funnily enough Alex) how much are they going for over there??