Sign in to follow this  

APPEAL --- PLEASE Help these people SEE SENSE !!!!!!

ah, now this is out of the moderated forum i can say my piece:asylum seekers = human beingsan aeroplane = not a human beingwhich is more worthy of the money? an easy choice.

DIRECT FROM THE HLF !!!this is what they'd rather spend MY money on.. see for yourselves QUOTE

I'd like to see it back in the air, but I can see why the HLF didn't pay up. You need a corporate sponsor of some sort ;-)The best thing to do is save it from scrapping, if that isn't the case already. Once that's been done, the funds can be raised over so many years .... it's the most likely way for success!The HLF could well be shutting the stable door after the last horse has bolted .... they donated over

But I'm talking about the Comet! :-hmmm A Nimrod is a Nimrod, even if the airframe was based on the Comet 4.It's only a family resemblance - The Comet's ugly sister. ;)

opinion.. are any of these ANY MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRESERVING THE history of british aviation ? Not to people with a love for everything that flies like we have it, but to the average person on the street?Probably yes. They see that decaying building in their city square restored and looking pretty while walking by on the way to buy some shoes, or they can go walk in a park where the gates and fences are no hazard to your health because of all the rusty spikes resulting from a century of disrepair.Several cities will have places that can draw in tourists from the rest of the coutry and abroad which improves the local economy.You have to remember that for many people aviation is no more than entertainment and a way to go to Ibiza or Benidorm on vacation.They couldn't care less if the aircraft performing at the local BoBMD show is an Avro Vulcan that is a marvel of engineering as well as a historical aircraft that shaped the British nuclear deterrent and helped keep the peace for 30 years (and win a war in the process in a place they probably can't find on a map) or a brandnew Tornado or Eurofighter or a 1940s Lancaster. They wouldn't even know the difference except that there are loud and silent aircraft and big and small ones.The people who REALLY know about it AND care enough are in the minority by far I'm afraid.Were this happening in my country I'd most likely also be upset, don't get me wrong. But in the eyes of the HLF (and IMO in the eyes of most of the people of the UK) the public at large is better served by projects that are more directly and permanently visible to the man on the street rather than to a few aviation fanatics (dangerous ones too, they want a military plane restored, that's glorification of violence. Can't have that) (their reasoning, not mine).

"the Lottery foundation does not support restoring aircraft to flight. It says so right in the article on the front page."So what if it does?It's wrong to apply a blanket policy like that.Each project should be judged on merit.What will happen if the Memorial flight's Lancaster one day needs millons in repairs? Are they going to have to scrap it?I'm sure most people in the UK would want Lottery money to be made available.If this stupid policy on aircraft goes against public opinion, it needs to be dropped.The lottery fund is supposed to benefit of the people of the country. It's up to us to tell them what we want funding.KEEP MOANING! :-) David

Rob, Theres a lot of talk here regarding asylum seekers, some make sense, some are the PC brigade and so on.Genuine asylum seekers, I dont think anybody has a problem with. In fact a number of years ago a friend of mine who is Iranian sought and won asylum as a "genuine" refugee. Never once did he claim off the state or involve himself in Criminal activity and a nicer family you could not wish to meet.The problem we have is, we have a Social security system (as do the other Countrys that are being invaded) Which is openly being abused. I dont believe for one minute having observed the roaming packs of these so called "asylum seekers" are genuine, but here for the ride and to extract as much as is easily possible from the state, with no intention of settling into normal UK life. (I have to be careful what I say as some I've no doubt will brand me racist, ect, ect.)However it is well known that many use the excuse "asylum seeker" as a gain for their own illegal / criminal activity including well organised gangs controlling Prostitution, drugs, stolen vehicles so on so forth. When questioned..."no speak Engliz, you are racist pig".Advertising the fact that in excess of

George, I'm British myself - so I recognise your argument, and agree with much that you say.The problem I had with the original post, and Avsim's front page, was the parallels being drawn. You're right, and most of us know about the illegal immigrants. But it was the blanket use of the term 'asylum seeker's' (in a negative way) which denegrates and ostracises those who are legitimate refugees, being welcomed in our tolerant land, as opposed to the fear and repression they experienced at home. We just have to be careful about how we term those who have no right to be here, and those who we should welcome - I don't consider myself overtly PC (I believe in fairness and justice, and that bigotry shouldn't be tolerated). But I am cross that

Rob, If you look at my previous post regading the Vulcan, you will see that I stated, we are free because of such an aircraft. I too believe in fairness and justice, which is why I get annoyed with what I see. I believe they call it a right royal screwing or words to that effect.The genuine, the needy of course we should help them, but not at cost to our own first. The truth in my eyes is WE the British, dont get this. I tell my family to prepare for the big collapse thats coming, Brownie conformed my worst fears the other day.

Guest DreamFleet

I'd like to see a collection taken up to restore this. I remember when Lee Iacocca started the fund raising drive for the Statue of Liberty back in the 80's: "One dollar from everyone living in the United States", he said, and he got the money to do it! It would take such an effort again to restore this.Anyone know what it is, and what is significant about "her"? She may not be a plane, but she is a "ship of state".They only built one of her, and she's currently rusting away in Philadelphia.Granted, it would cost a wee bit more than

I love shipsI'd never have guessed Lou ! Yeah I guess the old liners do have a magic about them, the ultimate in decedence (?**) and luxury.I was in a salvage mill a few years back where they had the State Room of one old liner recreated and up for sale, hmmm I can still smell it now. I never thought I'd sound like my Father but...they dont build em like thet used to.Flashbacks....George

You may be interested in the following text from my email to 'Anthea' in support of the Vulcan Bomber restorationDear AntheaWriting as an ex RAF airman and a regular Lottery subscriber, I would likeyou to know that I am very dissappointed that the application for Lotteryfunds for the Project to Restore the last remaining Vulcan 'V' Bomber, hasbeen rejected.This Project would have saved a real item of Heritage and NationalImportance.I can say this because I am a veteran of the British Nuclear Bomb TestingOperation, the product of which armed our Air Force, including this VBomber, and certainly deterred our enemies for many a decade. This is a factof historical importance and must qualify for funds on the grounds of thepreservation of our Heritage.I sincerely hope that you will reconsider this decision and and make fundsavailable to a thoroughly worthwhile project.Thank youEddie J