Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

3D Glasses are a Great Addition

I just purchased and installed the 3D Glasses from E DImensional, and I must say that this is one of the best addons for our hobby to come around in a long time, and I have been an FS fanatic since FSII in 1984.I have NO financial interest in this, but ever since FSFORUM on Compuserve I have always shared my excitement with new products.Using the 3D Glasses in the virtual cockpit with the head latency turned up is truly an unbelievable experience. The cockpit really has depth, esecieally with the yoke and throttle movements, and those AI aircraft soar right by you.Enjoy-Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi Howard,I agree with you!, the Edimensional Glasses are awesome!, the effect is amazing, the landings are great and the whole enviroment really comes to life!If you can get the IR head tracker also from EDimensional, in my personal view this is the best toy ever made for flight simulation!!!, you can now turn your head in any direction inside the plane and it works just like the real thing!, looking for traffic?, spoting the runway?, of just looking at the world as it goes by!, you may also do real life VFR things like flying the plane straight and level by visual cues, or establishing a turn, or a climb (you do this by looking at the angle the wings make with the horizon).If you combine the ED 3D glasses with the ED IR head tracker, a yoke rudder pedals and a headset you are in for some serious fun!!!, logon to VatSim file a flight plan and attend a flyin, all the while looking at the sim with REAL 3D, moving your head inside the virtual cockpit just like in real life, with realistic controls and talking and listening to human ATC and pilots!, it gets no better than this!!!Best of luck!Alex.NOTE: It takes some time to get used to the EDimensional IR head tracker, at first is seems weird because you want to move the plane with your head, but remember, you move the plane with the yoke and rudder, you move your head to look around, seems simple but it does take some time, once you have it down it works like a charm!

Hello Howard,glad to see you got stero working. I can sense yur excitement, and I wholeheartdly agree with you.This paragraph was going to suggest the IR Tracker as the next thing to get, but Alex beat me to this one. :D Everything he says is right on. (good work Alex).73's to one and all,

Guest Wayne Smith

I have a question for you about the IR head tracking. If you have to turn you head to move the view around the virtual cockpit using the IT Tracker, then aren't your eyes not looking directly at the monitor in front of you? Or is it that you only have to move your head a very small distance in any direction?

Hello Wayne,You don't actually have to turn your head, you just more or less tilt to the side, or tilt up or down. After a while you get to where you just rock around abit. Doesn't take too much, and doesn't usually take too long to get used to it.:-xxrotflmao

As soon as I get used to the wonderful 3D environment I am going to order the IR Tracker. Probably this week ;-)Thanks again for all the help.Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi Bob,Yes, they work at ANY resolution, and the best part is that the work with ANY game!, the IR tracker has a special module for MSFS2002 so you can use it in the virtual cockpit, but it can also be a mouse emulator, that means that you can slave the tracker to the mouse, so you can play Unreal Torunament or Battlefield 1942 using the tracker and instead of using the mouse you use your head, pretty cool!!!Donald, seems like we have the same taste in the good things, planes and hardware! LOL :)Best of luck!

Howard,I see various reviewers recommending that they shouldn't be used unless the available monitor refresh rate before attachment is 100 Hz or better. What was your refresh rate, and are you aware of any flicker?Thanks.Bryn

Edited for typos :-rollConcerning flicker at various refresh rates:At 1280x960x32 I have a refresh rate of 85 hz. on a HPv90 19" monitor and I cannot detect any flicker at all, this may be because of my older eyes, young eyes may be able to detect a flicker. (At 1600x1200x32 I get a refresh rate of 75 and can just barely detect a flicker. At 1024x768 I get a 100 hz refresh rate but cannot tell any difference between 100 and 85 hz, at 800x600 I get a refresh rate of 144hz and again cannot tell any difference between this and the lower 85 hz.I do sometimes get a flashing when taxiing on the ground, I believe this is caused by the infamous concrete turning to grass on the runway effect, which causes the glasses to lose syncronization with the software and screen. (My theory). This only happens on the ground and then not always, once in the air I never get flashing at all. One may use a program like PowerStrip, (a shareware program)http://www.entechtaiwan.com to force as high a refresh rate as your monitor can stand, but 120hz is plenty, and in my experience 85 hz does well. Another freeware program,is Hz Tool http://hem.passagen.se/doxx/Not as good as PowerStrip as PowerStrip does a lot of other things besides increasing the refresh rate.