Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Question-What should we all do about Wilco Publishing?

Guest sfgiants

They told us they were releasing a first class ad-on with a low fps hit.Not only is that incorrect, the add-on doesn't even run a FULL and COMPLETE FSNAT. You have to program it yourself.What are your thoughts.Tim

Don't buy from them anymore. Ask for a refund (as the product is clearly not what they claim it to be, you might be able to claim successfully that you were deceived into purchasing it) or if you bought it in a store an exchange for something else (in my experience serious stores do that).If enough people do that, they should get the message to either make better products or go out of business.

Guest brewmaster

Not much we really can do. Buyer beware. I figure if we get the word out (which I think we have) it will help others make an educated desision on purchasing the product. I also will not be buying anything from Wilco again. If Wilco decides to make a database of FSNAT scripts (ie finish the work they should have done) available for the airports I might change my opinion on the matter. So far I have yet to see any scripts uploaded or made available anywhere (other than the tutorial at Wilco) so I figure no one has really successfully implemented FSNAT. Its a dissapointment, but certainly not the first time I have bought somthing thinking I was getting somthing else. Its just the way things go sometimes...Brewmaster

My thoughts are...I don't know why you are using WE in your subject. Not everyone on this forum rushed out and bought the product when it was released. Worse yet, there are people that pre-purchased something that had new technology in its description. The WE part that is more appropriate will be what the FS community does based on news of the product.This whole topic and the belly aching that has been going on about it for weeks reminds me of people that buy and install the newest version of Windows, DirectX, (insert product name here) and then scream bloody murder when they have problems. If you're not willing to accept features that don't work as intended, then wait for the first patch release before buying. It's a simple fact that new software is not going to be perfect no matter how much the purists believe a released product should be bug-free.As for what YOU and others that bought the program can do, I'd recommend contacting your retailer and discussing a refund or exchange. If you have faith in the publisher and the product shows some potential, be patient and wait for the patch.Secondly, learn something from this episode and don't be so anxious to buy a product based on the hype the marketing people put on the website or on the box.Another poster said it best... Caveat Emptor... buyer beware. That's the best advice anyone could give a buyer no matter how great the publisher's reputation is.On the other hand, the people that sit on the sidelines and wait to hear the news on how good or bad a product is rely on the anxious gotta-have-it-yesterday people. It's really your choice next time a product is released which side you'll be on.

I've heard a few people (well, more than a few actually ;-) ) complain about this product. I don't have it, but I don't understand what all the fuss is about - it might be helpful is someone supported their gripes with a couple of screenshots so we can judge how awful the thing is?

Guest Salbado

I too am totally disappointed with their product, at first I thought it was my configuration...I am building an AB320 and have 6 USB's connected to the Main FS Server W/ Project Magenta...FPS was great until loaded this thing and I still can't get static AC. The view out the front is not good enought to sacrifice fulidity. Unfortunately, this was my first WILCO experience...but fortunately my last. I guess there is nothing you can do but enjoy the coaster!

Ah horse pucky Bruce. Somebody has to be the first to try a new product. I appreciate those who have purchased and returned here to warn others. It's called consumer activism. And yes we should scream bloody murder when Microsoft or any other company sells stuff that's bug ridden. If nobody stands up and yells then we all suffer separately. And guess what, if no one stands up then others will come along and try to re-produce the same shody stuff and expect to herd us like sheep reaping great financial gain. Good for those who bought and belly ached, as you put it. I don't mean to step on your feelings here (-: but can't WE all get together and speak out in support of others in OUR community when they have obviously been taken to the cleaners? After all, it's a free forum. Well, as free as AVSIM will allow. :-smoochJust my two cents.

>Ah horse pucky Bruce. Somebody has to be the first to try a >new product.Correct. But these can be reviewers (there are quite a few of them around) and some other ordinary folks who do not have hightened expectations when they buy it. I happen to agree with Bruce 100%. Those who are first to get it based on exeggarated marketing claims better learn their lesson or stop complaining.Michael J.[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Ken,No worries about stepping on my feelings. :)We agree that someone has to be first to try a product and as I stated, that will always happen as long as there are successful marketers. My point was that simmers don't have to be impulsive buyers and become the sacrificial lamb. I'm sorry for those that fell victim and I respect the people that had the guts to state in a mature fashion how they made a mistake. It's the belly aching that I have a problem with. No one was forced to purchase this product as one user stated in a thread "...they are fake cheap @$$ ppl who make us spend $40 or EURO29.95 (about) for a product that u need to program".I stated that the WE was more appropriately directed towards the FS community and how it would react to the news of the product.Yes, as a community we should support well made software and proclaim to the world when software is substandard, thereby helping fellow simmers from making a mistake. But you and I disagee on the way to send that message to the developer. It's $$$ that send the message loud and clear, not screaming bloody murder. If more people would state effectively what is wrong with Wilco's product and less belly aching, more simmers would see this as a credible reason to avoid the product.All publishers want to avoid bad reviews since it will affect future sales. But all too often, it's easy to discredit a complainer as "sour grapes" or "inflated expectations". Not so with a detailed, unemotional review that states the facts. Those are the user reviews that hit the developer in the pocketbook and make simmers take notice.'nuff said. ;)

Guest shaunm

Hi All I suppose you could say i'm one of the dull ones who didn't listen.Originally i wanted World Airports,after some reading on forum groups i decided, that piece of software was going to hit me for frame rates,so i decided for Airport 2002 V1. Ok big mistake. Now to comment on the add on i cant do,because i cant run the thing,i keep getting told my system is out of memory and i crash back to desk top. I went to wilco's web site and sure enough they are aware of the problem and are trying to sort it out,it affects win 98 and Millinium. when i dont know. So i will probably hang onto it untill then and see what happens. I would like to think soon,if still nothing by next week then i will take it back. It's a pitty realy,after PIC 767 it's a big let down. With PIC A320 just arround the corner, how many people will buy that. Shaun.

I get your poing Bruce. Maybe some have gone way overboard in useless complaining. I guess that just goes with the territory. I do agree that we should voice our discontent by sending the software back if possible. Money does "talk". Thanks for listening.Bruce, I'll tell you one thing, I did purchase Radar Contact v3 sight unseen because I do trust John, Rick, & Company. If I were to get burned by them it would be a deeper hurt than getting hurt by a company in which I have no trust or history.I have just received my copy today and I am installing it while I write this note to you. Somehow I know they will not let me down.Fly High!

I am a person who enjoys flying around in FS2002 on my free time. (free time means an hour in the evening and a couple hours on the weekends) I thought that airport 2002 was going to be a great program, but it turns out to be a joke. The idea of airport 2002 is great. But in practice, it isnt worth the money. This is the first product that I purchased from Wilco Publishing, and unfortunately, it shall be the last. I dont have time to fiddle with the program to make the gates, trucks or anything else work. And what's up with having to have it in slew mode?? At times, I would be sitting in the aircraft, then hit pause, then all of a sudden, I would be on one of the roads moving like one of the "FSNAT" cars, only I am in a 737! One time, I was just sitting on the tarmac and a 747 came in for a landing through the hangars. And yes, I had setup my system correctly. In fact, I thought that Wilco Publishing couldnt have put out such a poor product, that I completely purged FS2002 and reloaded it and Airport 2002. And the problem still persisted. Like I said before, Airport 2002 is a wonderful idea, but, I think that Microsoft will have to come out with something like airport 2002 before I buy something like this again.Thanks,Brian

Just because you didn't like Wilco's last product (presumably someone did but I haven't seen any evidence of that, frankly!) doesn't mean we need to string them up by their thumbs. Wilco has a long history in FS and most of it, I would say, has been good. Let them know your concerns, ask for a refund if that would make you feel better, and hopefully their future products will improve. At least they are trying to push the envelope. You have to give them credit for that!David

I give them credit for pushing the envelope. However, when you ask for real currency, you need to produce a real product. Airport 2002 is in it's infancy with FSNAT. The product that they offer would have been more succesful if they offered real users the chance to try out the new technology instead of create it and charge $35+ only to find out that they need to post updates and tutorials. For all those who are not happy with Airport 2002, I will contact them and ask for a refund. I will let you know of the status.Brian