Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

Anisotropic Filtering

Guest kilo_sierra17

Can someone tell me what Anisotropic Filtering is, I have no clue, what exactly does it do, should I turn it on to 8X or 4X or 2X??

Guest kilo_sierra17

Thank you very much for the info!, yeah your right anymore then 2x, and it just murders FPS, looks great on 8x, but watch out slideshow :-lol

IT's pretty nice with AA at 4x and AF at 16x . No framerate hit noticeable.

Guest PaulL01

>IT's pretty nice with AA at 4x and AF at 16x . No framerate >hit noticeable. As you probably know the Radeon9700 doesn't do "full scene aniso" as is done by the Nvidia cards, in many games there is very little differance, but in large viewing areas such as what Fs2k2 offers, the inability of the ATI card to render full scene aniso (FSAF) to the whole scene becomes very noticable as at times the buffering technique gets confused and the results are disapointing. which is a shame as the power of the ATI card to render the scene at AA and AF would still allow for very decent FPS. Perhaps in a new driver version the ability of choosing full scene aniso would/should become an option.And for that reason alone you might enjoy better results uping your AA and droping your AF a notch. I am currently enjoying 8xFSAA and 4xFSAF at 1152x864x32 What res are you using?

Paul; you have to be careful when reading nvidia articles. They've been known to distort the truth when it comes to the 9700. Here's a good article discussing AF and the differences between the 4600 & the 9700: http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0...,a=31513,00.asp ""AF can make a discernible difference in certain kinds of games, with first-person shooters being a good example. And if those improvements can be had without killing off too much frame rate, then AF is something you'll want to use. But, if you want FSAA and AF at 1600x1200, Radeon 9700 will pretty much take you there, whereas GeForce 4 Ti 4600 really starts to wheeze when these kinds of demands are put on it.""""If the choice comes down to AF or FSAA, FSAA looks better to me. But image quality is very subjective, and your mileage may vary. So play with your card's AF settings and see if you can see a difference. If not, stick with FSAA, and get back to the real reason we buy 3D cards in the first place: to play games!"" Both of the above statements from the article are right on the money.To answer your question, I run at 1600x1200x32. After several months, I'm still playing with my sliders. I recently switched from a 17" Sony to a 21" Sony and noticed that this change makes a difference in what settings are the best. I'm currently running 4xAA & 16xAF. I've tried 6xAA and may go back to it as frames are acceptable with any of the settings in FS2k2 with frames locked at 20. My main gripe and the only one is that Gerrish's trees have a slight twinkle and only really noticeable because everything else is about perfect. The differences in AF levels are subtle, but there. Overall the image quality is superb. Can't speak for the 4600 cause I never owned one.

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

hey i run x6 FSAA and x16 anisotropic and fs2002 and my other games are beautiful with the new drivers that where out mondayi will post a screen shot later with my 9700 proshane

Guest jase439

If you're running an nVidia GF card with the 40.xx or 41.xx drivers installed, be sure to leave Texture Sharpening OFF if you run with Anisotropic Filtering (or at least be sure you know what its really doing before you check it).Texture Sharpening, despite the fact that it lives on the FSAA page, takes your current level of AF and doubles it. Many a person on here have hosed themselves performance-wise (or worse, disabled texture filtering altogether), by checking this box without knowing what it does.The GF4 cards only support up to 8x (32-tap) AF. If you set AF to 8x *AND* check Texture Sharpening, you effectively set your filtering level to 16x, which is unsupported and results in ALL TEXTURE FILTERING being turned off (black boxes around autogen scenery, funky looking text, grainy terrain, etc).Similarly, people run 2x or 4x AF and wonder why their performance is so bad compared to others. 9 times out of 10, they have TS enabled. nVidia was stupid as all sin to include this check box in the first place - on the FSAA page no less!Anyway...word to the wise!J

Shane: any noticeable differences between the new drivers and the CD6166 drivers? Reason I ask is cause mine runs perfect with the CD drivers and Yes, I agree; the image quality is beautiful with the 9700. It don't get any better than this.

I won't buy a Radeon card. Their driver support is just plain crap. lolShane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest PaulL01

Scuse me MG, But my info is from first hand knowledge, developers working with as well as ATI itself and it is a matter a fact, not hype and not envy. Not everyone is bound to "product loyalty" and certainly not me(unless I work for the company). :)I I gree with the content of the article however I'm not sure if you understood my post as there is nothing in those or any other article that you will find that will/can dispute what I said as it still stands that ATI Radeon pro's don't do FSAF and the Nv does, it is as simple as that and in FS2k2 it manifest itself rather regularly. As an example take a look at your ground textures using 4x or more FSAA and full AF from the VC view on approach from FL40 on down, it gets much more blurry just out a mile or so to the horizon than even a GF3 would allow at just 2xFSAA and 4x AF , mid to near the AC however the ATI image/scene one ups the GF3/GF4.As seen by the struggle and power needed to employ good FSAF, ATI's technique is a relatively good/smart thing but it has its drawbacks for a game like FS2k2 as I had merely stated and frankly for the money and the technology and power that the card is capable of it is reasonable to be able to expect a user control to force FSAF when one wants. Much the same situation that existed for Nv card owners for the past couple of years; you could force a better AF mode out of the card as it was/is capable of (like right now the GF4 can do 8xFSAA but only through a hack) but better AF was only available through hacking the registry until just recently when NV started to allow user controle in the latest drivers, but unfortunitly at this point no one has been able to crack the ATI driver and force FSAF.As far as the "twinkling tree texture" try turning your AF down a notch or two and it will go away.Later,

Guest kilo_sierra17

I guess when you have a 2.53 GHZ, you dont worry about frames!, but me and my old PIII 500 (which plays almost every game well), gotta watch out!, FS is the only game where I get any stuttering! FS runs ok about 10-15 FPS on average with PA A320. Maybe someday, P4 3.06 GHZ, and GeForce FX!!, that would be a sweet system!

""As far as the "twinkling tree texture" try turning your AF down a notch or two and it will go away.""Paul; I tried your suggestion since I'd never run with AF below 8x before. I turned it down to 4xAF and the textures went to heck in a hand bag. The textures way out on the horizon became blurry. They're nice and crisp and clean at 16xAF. The textures up close and inbetween also lost clarity. I'm staying at 16xAF where everything looks great. I also tried 6xAA versus the 4xAA that I usually run. Not much difference between the two other than very subtle differences. Main thing was that I lost some distant textures at 6xAA. I suppose that's a power thing. Problem I have with 6xAA is that there's also a slight delay in texture draw when switching to an outside view. That bothers me so I'll be staying with 4xAA. That tree twinkle I was referring to is slight but noticeable. I'm gonna try experimenting with some of the different tree packages available. The default trees don't twinkle so maybe it's a texture thing with Gerrish's trees.

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

heres the screen shot i promised earlyer follow the linkhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID47/14229.htmlas with driver support i find ati better then nividia for that seems like there is a new driver every cpl of weeks and they only get better and i still own a geoforce card which is still a good card but does not compare to what i see now on my computermy 3d benchmark went up from 4000 to 7310 in mad onion as the question on the new drivers they are great they added about a 10% increase in all my games love the look of opeation flashpointalso they put the ability of turning off vsynic in the control paneland they made the 2d desktop better i find it not sluggish anymore but i havent had any problems yet i am still running direct x 8.2 but as soon as the full dx9 comes out i am upgrading as with bluriness my geoforce card was blurier when i had it in i am still tweeking but this is my fav video card that i have had over the yearsand i am a old voodoo fan still have my 5500 lolbut hey now i got a card that i can run dual moniters on with out a second video card i am happy and it wont take up two slots and have a big exhaust port like the new geoforce i seen. :)take care shane