Sign in to follow this  

I d/l'ed 1.8 because I couldn't download anything with 1.7 without timing out (optimized dialup, 56kbps = 52 kbps in practice). I promptly downloaded yesterday's (sunday's) 3pm est weather without incident. Today, I can't download anything. I'm sure it's internet traffic, etc. Whatever.My thoughts are that I only fly in the northeast. If I do stray from my O'hare to National border, it's to Denver, SFO or Orlando. Do I really need to download 5+ MB of winds? I know everyone else wants it, but can't I get a radio button to only download what I need? I wasn't downloading 5 megs of wind before, what's changed and can't I deselect it?Thanks.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

RC2 did indeed help! Much more reliable even without checking the low bandwidth option.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I did a couple tests with running a trace route andping after a failed download and a successful download.In both instances I have 15 hops from my computer toto the noaa one that apparently is sending the wind data.In both instances ping time was about 260 msec for eachnode.My traffic goes over UUNet until it gets into the noaanetwork system.I conclude that the timeouts have nothing to do with myISP or the net, and may be a server issue, or a protocolissue.scott s..

Hi Scott, thanks for all the info..Timeouts indicate that either a) the noaa server did not send a response within 3 minutes to the request or :( the noaa server was not found (full communications error). Please try manually getting a full day's wind report with all stations (see docs for info on this, offline files reference) and let me know how your success rate is. If you can get to it via browser then you should be able to via wxRE.. there isn't much difference. If both are having trouble, unfortunately nothing can be done but to advise your ISP of difficulty communicating with that server. If your browser is working fine while wxRE is not, then this would be a first report (with 1.8) and we can look into it further.. let me know!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies