Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

NEW Alaska 28 M USGS Mesh

FSfreeware 28.8M Usgs - Alaska Project - - McKinley - You can see it now!! -Best - I'm off!! fly it!!best spotters

Uh, can someone please explain to me what LOD "28M" mesh is?You have LOD=10 (38.2m)You have LOD=11 (19.1m)What is "28.8m"? LOD=10 and a half?I at first thought this was a typo, but fsfreeware is indeed advertising this as 28.8m terrain. There is no such thing as 28.8m terrain mesh.I think this deserves some clarification here. :-)Justin

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

HI Rob,Probably. But as I said in my forum this morning, there isn't any 30m Alaska source files available. The NED data for Alaska is 60m source and going from 60m to 38.2m is a bit of an oversampled stretch, in my opinion.I think I may wait until some actual 30m source might become available from the STRM data.But I'm looking into it.PS, still wondering what "28.8m terrain" is? :-)Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.com

Justin - Toposim

FSfreeware 28.8M Usgs - Alaska Project - - McKinley - You can see it now!! I've honestly not seen a single reason to get this stuff. It certainly doesn't look better than Eddie Denney's if anything it looks worse.

Fsfreeware told me - the mesh is designed with their own tecnique - from the NED Usgs data - without any interpolation or whatever else you call it to achieve resolution - the mesh is very good - I can guarantee you - I've tested and fly basically everyday on those areas already available for download at mapserver.best spotters

I see. So they are not using the MS resample.exe but have invented their own and have found a way around the LOD grid system hard-coded into FS2002 while figuring out a way to take 60m source data and bring it to 28.8m without any interpolation?Interesting, to say the least.Justin

Justin - Toposim

Hi Justin.Say, aren't these the same folks that are offering downloads of 18 or more of my freeware files.. without my permission, or even having the decency to tell me they were doing so?Well, at least they are still free.Dick

Well Rhumba;defenitely you are among the favorites!let me say - Fsfreeware is a great freeware site - offering everything for free - to thousands of simmers - and they carry on pay for it!Not bad!! considering restrictions going around in these days - especially at busy times in other sites!best spotters

So they are called FsFreeware, but they are charging for their mesh? Doens't sound like freeware to me.Also, are you sure you don't have a stake in their product since you seem to be selling it as hard as any car salesman I have ever encountered. if so I think this post would go against the No advertising in the forums rack.Just my observation.ThanksAl

I do not work for them or anybodyelse!and I'm not going into the argument of fsfreeware as it is not my business - but for sure you can download lots of freeware file at that site without pay - as usual in this forum - you are always to degenerate - into issues that have nothing to do with the original subjects - and express your bitternes to all those others flightsimming establishemts - open your mind the world is much bigger than you think!!sorry I like to be honest with youbest spotters

Guest sgreenwood

Regarding the original subject:>their design Team is working on a Highly DETAILED MESH FOR ALASKA!!! AT >28 M!! Is that the same design team that:* announced high resolution mesh for the continental US, then put the project on hold* announced 10m mesh for the entire state of New York, then put the project on hold* announced 10m mesh - "USGS 10M - NW USA - - - VAST COVERAGE", and now states "MORE INFO COMING SOON."Hmmmmm, are you sure it's not the marketing team? :-rollRegards,Steve