Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Another Thermal Issue

Guest davidvoogd

Sounds great! Thanks Chris.

I also get the Thermal Issue, around aerodromes at least, maybe more but haven't really ventured further out since purchasing ASV. Until seeing this I thought it was just something like callibration of my yoke or the power of the extra 300s that i was flying around with. Made it very difficult -> impossible to land, certainly impossible at the right point.Regards,Geoffrey Balean YSCBVirgin Blue Virtual - VOZ9211VATSIM Student Controller (S3)Student Pilothttp://www.voz.ozflight.com.au/images/pmdgforumsignature.png

Guest Ruahrc

Yes I am getting this effect too. Previously, with the old version of AS2004.5 I had troubles with the "wake turbulence" ALWAYS hitting me just before crossing onto the airfield, no matter if a plane approached ahead of me 1 min ago or 1 hour ago (read: no planes in front of me for a looong time). It would always give me some pretty severe downdraft and would overpower any autopilot I tried it with. I have since disabled the Wake Turbulence because it is just not very realistic.Now in ASV with these thermals I am getting basically the same thing, but with less extreme downdraft. I have made about 5 or 6 flights with ASV so far, and EVERY TIME I have had this downdraft just prior to touchdown. I'll be on a perfect glideslope and then all of a sudden I need extra power to keep from landing in the grass. And then, as mentioned here earlier, I seem to float endlessly over the runway. (I can possibly attribute this, however, to a combination of flying a new aircraft and also the previous power increase due to the downdraft making me float)I think in the next patch for ASV thermal generation should be able to be disabled below a certain altitude just like weather updates can. That way you could set it to like lower than 100'AGL and not get these strange thermal actions on final. I understand that it is more realistic with them, but I think the constant thermal just before touchdown is a little overkill and not necessarily more realistic than if it were not there at all.VAS is great though! I need to get in a small plane and fly in the mountains and really see how it works.Ruahrc

Though the posts are getting smaller and smaller in horizontal width, i thought it most appropriate under here =D In reply to Jim, negative I haven't set up any manual thermal points. Also haven't had the chance to confirm whether it occured on every flight, but on another PC of mine that I installed ASV on, the same thermal issue occurred on the one and only test flight.Regards,Geoffrey Balean YSCBVirgin Blue Virtual - VOZ9211VATSIM Student Controller (S3)Student Pilothttp://www.voz.ozflight.com.au/images/pmdgforumsignature.png

Guest Ruahrc

No I did not manually create a VAS Point, but I did have VAS auto-gen on.I did another flight yesterday with VAS auto-gen off, and did not get any sinking or rising effects. I will turn it on again tomorrow and see how a flight goes.Ruahrc

Jim:This is the same problem I was having in an earlier post. I did not post a follow-up because I have not encountered the severe "downdraft" again until last night.I was on final, just about to cross the threshold and manually flying, when my KingAir nose dived beyond control, resulting in a crash. No manual thermals had been created, and no aircraft had landed before me while I was in the area.Sorry, not much information here, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to see a pattern yet.Will let you know if I find anything.Wilson