Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Need Help

Need help...I have a reasonably up to date system: AMD 1900+, 512mb ram, Gforce3 200ti on Windows XP.What I don't understand is why it takes so long for FS2002 to load. The splash screen time is 40 seconds, the elevation/textures/ATC time is an additional 40 to 50 seconds. Every time I change a flight, time, or season it is another 40 to 50 seconds to load the textures etc. again. Is this normal loading time? I realize that this is a huge program, but these times seem excessive. It distracts from the enjoyment of the program. I ran FS2000 on the same machine using Millennium and the loading was less than half that time. The simulator runs smoothly with good frame rates and the graphics are great.If this is normal for FS2002, then I can live with it. However I feel something is not right in my system. It appears to me that data transfer from the hard disk is slow. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Howdy Rich,I haven't timed my load time for FS2002 but it does take quite a while to load. I dont think that your times are excessive. If the thing runs OK after loading I wouldn't worry about it. If I know I want to make a change from my normal default load out, I do so after the,"Fly Now", screen comes up. Sometimes I will change the time from night to day for instance, or change my location, I do that from the,"Fly Now", screen and save a bit of time that way.

If you want to try a comparison, copy your fs2002 to another area on your hardrived and rename this copy fs2002OLD. Uninstall fs2002, open Windows Explorer and delete the fs2002 folder (NOT the fs2002OLD folder). Reinstall fs2002 to the same disk/partition. Start fs2002 and time how long it takes to load - much faster without all those addons!!Now that the experiment is over, you have several choices. One, copy the fs2002 folder to another area on your hardrive and rename this copy fs2002NEW. Rename fs2002OLD to fs2002, restart fs2002 to make sure it is working properly, the load time should be much slower also.You now have a fresh copy of fs2002 labelled fs2002NEW. If you don't want it on your hardrive, delete it. I maintain this fresh copy on my computer since I do a lot of testing of aircraft, gauges, textures, scenery. Sometimes, I need a fresh copy to troubleshoot or fix my working copy.BTW, fs98 and fs2000 had the same load time problems once a lot of addons were installed.