Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

FSPlanet , Ultimate Compliment Or ...

Guest Fly1

Well, I was wondering what might happen. Yes, I have found that FSPlanet has posted my Eze project to their web site without prior authorization, which is required as noted in the documents. Nels Anderson was at least good enough to e-mail me first before posting it at FlightSim.I had thought that since there was such a commotion about this topic just a little while back, it probably wouldn't happen. Oh well, I guess I'll just take it as a compliment. He did give it a Five Star rating, whatever good that means knowing his history. I just wonder where it will end up now. The problems of posting to the web.Takes all kinds!Bob C.

I would not take it as a compliment. I would take it as a complete rip off and total disregard for my terms of use. But then, I have this thing for people whose arrogance outweigh their common sense.

I see that they also snagged John's Ercoupe too. I perodicaly check them to make sure none of my files end up over thereBrian

Guest Guruswarmyoz

Yeah they/it also got my PC9/PC7 and Texan II, the host server never bothered to reply to my emails ( I told 'em that I'd complain to the Itallian Embassy here as they are breaching copyright) and the webmaster email on the fsplanet homepage keeps on getting bounced back (GO FIGURE THAT???).This site (FSplanet) deserves to have its power plug removed.

Guest Fly1

Tom,Don't get me wrong. I agree with you totaly. But in some cases, what are you going to do. You put it on the web, you run that risk.RegardsBob C.

I've never understood why folks get upset with Ferdy. He posts all my files, and I just see it as saving me the trouble to upload to just one more site. He does nice reviews, takes additional screen shots beyond what I provide (always well done)..and with those efforts, that many more people have access to my work.My purpose is to have fun, and in the process simmers get to have a nicer scenery. No one loses.Just my humble o...Bob Bernstein

>I've never understood why folks get upset with Ferdy. He >posts all my files, and I just see it as saving me the >trouble to upload to just one more site. He does nice >reviews, takes additional screen shots beyond what I provide >(always well done)..and with those efforts, that many more >people have access to my work. >>My purpose is to have fun, and in the process simmers get to >have a nicer scenery. No one loses. Actually, there are losers in these cases, and it's always the end user. Neither Ferdy nor the other's who 'poach files' for their sites bother to keep up with the necessary 'updates' or 'Service Releases' that nearly always wind up being posted...This means that the end user may not have the 'latest version' and as a result may well miss out on important - sometimes critical - developments.

Tom,I read the Avsim news item "Flight School Uses MSFS Aircraft" the other day, mentioning a mob "AirIndigo". AirIndigo's website operator did the same thing (as is being discussed here) with a number of FSD and other projects I participated in. In fact, he went so far as to breach my own, FSD's and other developers' Copyrights by renaming and repackaging some of the files. It was the subject of some heated discussion at the time : of his actions, and those of Ferdy and one or two others like FSPlanet. In that event, that operator proved to be the most un-cooperative, recalcitrant S.O.B. I've ever dealt with. Reluctantly, we had to telegraph intents of litigation before finally, after more than a week, he withdrew the files and with exceedingly bad grace and bitter words.Perhaps you can imagine how confused I/we are, seeing the News Item on the main Avsim page whilst, in a concurrent discussion, folks are quite rightly deploring exactly the same actions : that cavalier individual believes he has the right to abuse other's Copyrights with impunity. Best wishes for 2003,Steve

Reporting a news item is not an endorsement by AVSIM Steve. We have been down this path before.

Merely pointing out what others may have overlooked or perhaps forgotten : nothing more than that. Those of us whose works get exploited (some of us more than others) tend to have quite long memories about that sort of thing. Some developers even stop contributing as a result.

Guest LonelyplanetXO

I requested that a recent upload of mine be removed from Ferdy's site after it was leeched without permission. It was removed a few days after the request. You can make your own decision about whether or not to support FSPlanet by checking the archived threads on the subject.His "contact us" email does bounce back but you can reach him on ferdy@fsplanet.comLonelyplanetXO

Guest Guruswarmyoz

Well (maybe this is coincidence) this arrived in my "Inbox" this morning: (dircetly copied from outlook) Privacy Statement for FSPLANET.COMFSPLANET.COM has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy. The following discloses the information gathering and dissemination practices for this Web site: FSPLANET.COMFREEWARE COPYRIGHT AND DISTRIBUTIONAdd-ons are made available for the private use of Microsoft Flight Simulator enthusiasts. Under no circumstances may any zip file be modified or sold for profit.As freeware is permitted to distribute archives subject to the following conditions- The archive must be distributed without modification to the contents of the archive. Redistributing this archive with any files added, removed or modified is prohibited.- The inclusion of any individual file from this archive in another archive without the prior permission of the author is prohibited.- No charge may be made for this archive other than that to cover the cost of its distribution. If a fee is charged it must be made clear to the purchaser that the archive is freeware and that the fee is to cover the distributor's costs of providing the archive.- The authors' rights and wishes concerning archives must be respected.- Even freeware programs shouldn't harm your computer, use it on your own risk!FORBIDDEN! Our Site doesn't accept material from the next people (wrong archives, viruses, fakes, unknownledge of freeware....etc)- Mike Hambly, David Friswell and Shigeru TanakaCookiesOur Site uses cookies for other purp......... There was no "Dear Sir" etc nor any signiature. But the Senders address is: Ferdy Serena [ferdy@fsplanet.com].Note that my name appears (David Friswell), but i will say that this is one strange email! If this strange email leads to FSplanet NOT having my files displayed then that makes me rather pleased.

Guest Fly1

Well, I went back to Ferdy and politely ask him to remove my file, and he also sent the above, with a little extra ...Copied from the e-mail:---------------------------------------Dear Robert, You have released your file as freeware. We trust in freeware and we respect author's wishes, but we don't need to request permission for distribution as it's just what it means freeware.=======================FREEWARE COPYRIGHT AND DISTRIBUTION (As Above)=======================I want you know that FSPLANET.COM is the 3rd most visited FS worldwide reaching up to 20,000 unique visitors a day. We are your best allied to publish and distribute your work for all simmers and the Flight Sim community completely for free. That's the reason freeware designers and repainters are doing his work for free and they release the work as freeware.If you don't want to see your file published in FSPLANET.COM for any special reason, we do respect author's wishes. We will remove your files...but I assure you that we really don't have nothing to lose, but the Flight Sim community as they'll never know about you and the work you have done. In fact you'll save us server spends. The decision is yours.Let me know.Happy New Year 2003! Ferdy SerenaExecutive Director of FSPLANET.COMferdy@fsplanet.comhttp://www.fsplanet.com/Valencia-SPAIN-------------------------------------------Pretty arrogant I would say.Bob C.

Guest Fly1

Well Ferdy is definitely following the forums here. I received an e-mail this morning, expressing rather rudely his displeasure with my sharing his previous e-mail with the group here. Something about posting "Private" material. Go figure.LaterBob C.