Sign in to follow this  
Guest melevine

Tried to install upgraded video card......can't get per...

Guest melevine

Hi Jim,Now I'm REALLY confused. Seemingly "knowing" people are telling me that I won't get an increase just by upgrading the card and power supply (merely will get better looking visuals).....but....you have a CPU one step down from mine (3.6ghz) with same amount of RAM and exactly same card before upgrading to same card....AND YOU GOT A SIZABLE increase in FPS. I don't know what to think, anymore? I hope my results after installing the card and power supply mirrors your results!!! Thanks for letting me know.R/Mike

Guest faust1200

I'm a big fan OC'ing video cards. It helps me. Some people don't want to but it's worth a shot.

Hi Mike,when testing fps these are the standard parameters I use.PMDG 747 ,no flightplan in fmcVC (fwd and 10 o'clock view)CLEAR SKY/MID DAY250 kts2500 ftSEATTLE 340 degreesFPS locked 25With Seattle City directly to my left at 10 o'clock I used to get approx 19 fps with the 6800 card and 350 watt supply.Now with the 7950 gt and 650 watt supply I get approx 24-25 fps.I use FS GLOBAL 2005, GE PRO, all sliders to right excluding autogen on dense,sight distance 40 miles.Hope this is of some helpregards Jim

Guest melevine

Good morning Jim,I, too fly with the VC (since I'm using the expanded views), mostly mid day, usually with "fair" (FS9) weather, which usually gets me FPS about 1-2 less than "clear" (no weather) skies. I'd assume that the PMDG 747 is equal to or uses up more resources than my addon planes (although my addon Beech Baron 58 is one of the most unfriendly for framerates). Question: When you park that "Queen of the Skies" down at KSEA under those conditions and facing the terminal (I have FlyTampa's KSEA...do you also?), what FPS do you get??? This is what I get with my planes under those conditions parked at KSEA:Flight 1 Pilatus (9-10) "fair skies"Eaglesoft Citation X (mid 8) " "PMDG B1900C (13) " "Carenado C 183Q (13) " "Mike

Guest 777_lr_2k7

Oh my.....well I did exactly what you did and that was upgrade my old X850 to a X1950 Pro on my old computer and I was hoping for a nice increase in frames but guess what? I had about a 3-5% increase in frames and that was with a brand new mid end PSU. I tried everything from upgrading my chipset to reinstalling my drivers a few times without any increases. I finally decided to do a full upgrade from a 3500+ with a gig of ram to a brand new E6700 with 2 gigs of ram and let me tell I was still disappointed with my new card in FS9! I posted my problems on the Active Sky support forum and like you I went though the vicious cycle of reloading the drivers and convincing myself that my card was faulty. At the end of the day I was hoping that I would be able to run FS9 with full AA and AF and sliders maxed with my new machine but it didn't happen. Sure I was able to pull 35fps at Heathrow Pro with 80% AI, sliders maxed with full AA and AF but when it came to a sky full of clouds my frames would drop as low as 13fps. Believe it or not but FS9 can still bring down a pretty high end machine too its knees if you

Guest melevine

Thanks for the feedback.....it all helps. R/Mike

Hi Mike,in answer to your question,PMDG 747 parked and pointing at the gate/terminal default Seattle, engines running etc, zero A1, daytime ,clear sky, 22-24 fps, 1-2 fps less than parked 34r runway.regards Jim

Guest melevine

Jim,It is a bit hard to compare my scenario with yours since the FPS I got there (approx 11-12) were based on: complex plane parked (looking same way) at FLYTAMPA KSEA, with MODERATE AI (Ultimate Traffic), and "Fair" weather (FS9's that has some scattered cumulus and cirrus clouds). In any case, when I get home later today I plan to turn off the AI, turn off the clouds (set FS9 weather to "clear") and see how we compare with my current 6800 card and 350w power.I'll let you know.Mike

Guest melevine

Hey Jim,Well I tried the Seattle scenario and here is what I found using Geforce 6800PCI-E w/256MB and 350w power supply:*** THE SETTING THAT I CURRENTLY LIKE: Pilatus PC12 parked (engine off) pointing at FLYTAMPA KSEA terminal, AI (Ult. Tfc) at 35%, daytime, FAIR (scattered clouds). FPS = 12Then turned weather to CLEAR (none). FPS = 13Then turned AI to NONE. FPS = mid 16sThen turned on DEFAULT KSEA. FPS = 19**So...in comparison you received 3-5 FPS more than I did with similar setup but running the UPGRADED Video Card and higher power supplyI know that this is not exact science, but now I hope that I too will be able to get up to 5 FPS more...when I install the new card/power supply. If that were the case, I could fly ***THE SETTING THAT I CURRENTLY LIKE (and perhaps even higher settings) and get 15-17 FPS, which would pretty much eliminate the slight jerkiness that I now get while taxing and flying in that immediate airport vicinity.Carrying that reasoning one step further....when I fly with same plane and same settings at ADDON KDEN, KSAN, KBOS, I even got a bit less FPS (9-10). Adding 3-5 at these would also put me closer to "no jerkiness." I'd be a happy camper if that happened!We'll see,Mike

Hi Jim,You say you get 24-25 on your test but how do you know if that is a true figure if you lock FPS at 25? Set it to unlimited and see what you get.For the record I have a flight saved as my frame rate test so that the conditions are consistent. I also set Ai to zero and frame rates to unlimited.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Mike , I am absolutely definitely no expert with computers or tweaking but in my case I would agree with others that although my fps hold up very well with the upgrades,I too still get some jerkiness at the same time as good fps in the mid 20's at complex airports/cities suggesting it is my p4 3.4 running out of steam.Things get noticeably worse if I don't open the pc case and apply an external 7" fan.Your p4 3.6 may help a little in this dept and there is always the overclocking/increased cooling option.Best of luckregards Jim

Guest melevine

For sure, I'm no computer geek either. (Retired Naval Officer, Pediatric Dentist and now Biomedical Researcher).To put all in perspective, I've been seriously hooked with flight simulation since the late 80's when it was essentially flying one step beyond stick-figured buildings and planes. Here I am now tweaking to squeeze out a few more FPS using equipment that I could only dream about having back in the early days. (I need to take a deep breath and relax a bit....grin)I am grateful to be able to fly the sim with an incredible degree of sophistication using this wonderful technology. It is a wonderful hobby, and I enjoy interacting with folks like you (and most of the other posters on these forums) almost as much as I enjoy the flying.Thanks (all) for your help. I'll post again when I get the new hardware to see just how close we are were in predicting the future performance of this setup.Mike

If you were talking about FSX I could understand it, but FS9 has never given me FPS problems.You seem to have done all the right things re stopping other processes etc etc, but two things come to mind which may or may not be relevant.1. Do you run at large AA and aniso settings.? If so, they will eat FPS like no tomorrow. Instead of AA ( set it to application , and not on your video card ), run at a high resolution without it; and set aniso to 8.2. I run a nVidia 7800GTX card and it has a power socket where one of the power plugs of the PSU has to be plugged into the card directly.If you don't do that, the card runs as good as a bath with no taps.Does the ATI card have such a requirement, and if so, have you implemented it when you fitted the card?HTH