Sign in to follow this  
tstiegler

FSX SP 1 and Vista 64?

Hi,I've set up FSX SP1 on QX6850 / 4 GB RAM / 8800Ultra / Vista 64, meaning DX10 comes with the OS and the graphics adapter is DX10 compatible. Now, if I try to start FSX I get the message that FSX can't be started as it requires DX 9.0. Does it mean that I need SP2/Accelleration to run FSX on Vista 64? Shouldn't it be possible to run DX9 apps in a DX10 environment as DX10 should be downwards compatible DX9?Could somebody help me out there?Thanks, Thomas

Have you tried installing the directX nov 2007 redistribution? If not, it should have all the DX9 bits you may be missing.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>...Shouldn't it be possible to run DX9 apps in a DX10 environment>as DX10 should be downwards compatible DX9? ...Yes it should. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 and have never seen that error. Something's not right. I just don't know what it is. Maybe you don't have the right 64 bit drivers installed for your videocard. Have you allowed all of the Windows Updates after installation of Vista?Regards,Jim Karn

>Have you tried installing the directX nov 2007>redistribution? If not, it should have all the DX9 bits you>may be missing.Thanks for the hint. No, I think I havent't. I have run the windows updater that came with an updated graphics driver but no DX10. I will give it a try.Thomas.

>Yes it should. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 and have never>seen that error. Something's not right. I just don't know>what it is. Maybe you don't have the right 64 bit drivers>installed for your videocard. Have you allowed all of the>Windows Updates after installation of Vista?Hi Jim,I have installed all available updates the Windows update program have suggested. Surprisingly (for me) there was also an update of the 8800Ultra drivers to version 6.15 (as far as I can remember, I'm currently not in front of my FS computer) among them. I haven't checked the nvidia site if there are other/newer/better drivers but I will do today.Thanks, Thomas.

Hmm, now I'm getting a bit nervous. I've installed the Nov 2007 DX distribution as well as the newest graphics drivers (it's v7.15 not v6.15 as mentioned in my previous post). FSX is loading now, basically. Graphics are looking blurry and somehow unreal. FPS at default start place with that ultra light is about 35 without having any addon installed (I have a QX6850 with 4 GB PC800, giving a Vista performance rate of 5.5). Full screen mode is not properly working with dual monitors, nor it is in maximized window mode. Any ideas? Thomas