Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

LCD TVs for FS Display............recommendations please!

Hi:I'm in the market for a new LCD flat panel TV for the bedroom, and was thinking about the 42"-46" size. How many of us have made the transition? I will have my 28" LCD for the FMC, overhead etc (2nd. display). Obviously, I will be running at a lower resolution.....I only fly VC. Will this be ok? What is the closest you can sit without pixelating image degredation? Is the 120Hz absolutely necessary for FS/gaming- (no I do not play 1st. person shooters but my son does so smoothness is important too).What MAKE AND MODEL displays are you all running, and how happy are you with them? Would you pick the same model again, or would you change.........if so, why? Any screenies of your setups would be appreciated as well- I want to hang the TV, but then I will need a cart I can place in front for the MCP complement, the yoke and throttles etc. Obviously height will be critical, low enough to enjoy from a sofa, but high enough to place the cart in front of and sim............Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl,I posted many times in reply to LARGE LCD concerns. Here I am again praising the LARGER sizes. I have a Westinghouse 37" and a Dell 27" running at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively. I have a 47" LCD westinghouse which will replace the Dell or it might be added as a 3rd monitor.The view is unbelievable, the panel distortion is very MINIMAL.Go for it.......Abe

Guest D17S

I'm running this and a 19"er off an 8800GT, then a 3rd 19 from a 8400GS. All's well. The 42 is at 1920x1080 via its HDMI input (DVI>HDMI adapter was $4. Don't let BB take ya with that little diddle!)http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1181831586462It sits in the corner of an L shaped office/desk arrangement with the 19s arrayed to the right. For flying, I sit 6" to 1' from the screen. The joy/throttle sit butted right up against its base. At 1080p, the resolution issue is transparent. It's simply not an issue. Every thing is clean and crisp. I like the peripheral feel it gives in the V-cockpit. Sitting that close, a lot of head movement is (actually) necessary.For the default airplanes, FSX runs fine locked at 20FPS with Full scenery sliders (x AG -1, Water 2L, bloom/shadows off) and ~ 20% traffic. Full vs windscreen FPS is not an issue with the default airplanes. The other 2 monitors are available for FMC/radio stack/flightaware.com/pdf charts. PMDG is a bust under any circumstances. Full screen v windowed is worth 5FPS (10 v 15).FS9 is a total joy. Try coming around the corner at the VHHX checkerboard in the PMDG 744X with Marcus'(avsim) scenery package. Had a copilot actually tumble over. I offered an encouraging word, but was kinda busy at that moment. It's also hooked up to my TV cable and can unscramble QAM TV digital channels. I just switch back and forth between TV and the 'puter. Trying to get WMC to run QAM stuff but it's still extremely "beta." It'd be pretty cool to have TV in a window shoved up in a corner. The 42 had Plenty of real estate. That's turning out to be Quite a project. At $800 ea, get 2! I have been simply amazed. It just plugged in and worked . . . and that big resolution really doesn't seem to effect game performance. The 8800GT appears to be Plenty of Vcard.

Sam-"It just plugged in and worked . . . and that big resolution really doesn't seem to effect game performance. The 8800GT appears to be Plenty of Vcard."I currently run my 28" LCD at 1920x1200- the TV (all 1080p) specs are 1920x1080 which is actually slightly lower- so I'm not too worried about the performance- just the image quality and pixelating, panning smoothness etc......... from what you say, you are very happy with the device.....that's what I needed to hear :).Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper