Sign in to follow this  
Guest onevirtual

Graphics Card Question for FSX

Guest onevirtual

Alright, well I purchased FSX deluxe last fall (2007) and much to my disappointment my computer could not handle it. I am now very close to purchasing a new graphics card to be able to play FSX. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me if you think this card would work well on FSX. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130332http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/Ge..._8800_GS/1.htmlThe review above seemed to give it pretty high marks and the price seems right to me. By the way, my computer is a Pentium 4 3.00 ghz sony desktop running windows xp. It seems pretty fast (doing things besides FSX) to me but I was surprised that it only has 512mb. I might end up upgrading the RAM down the road but thats beside the point...Mostly I just want to know if you guys think the graphics card is alright and would I have to get a new power supply for my computer? Thank you in advance.

Does your motherboard have PCI-e sockets that are needed for these newer video cards? Since your computer is a Sony, maybe the motherboard is proprietary, and also might be to old to put money into upgrades. Plus I think 2 gig of system memory is needed to run WXPro efficiently.I think your best option is to save for a new computer.

Guest onevirtual

>Does your motherboard have PCI-e sockets that are needed for>these newer video cards? Since your computer is a Sony, maybe>the motherboard is proprietary, and also might be to old to>put money into upgrades. Plus I think 2 gig of system memory>is needed to run WXPro efficiently.>>I think your best option is to save for a new computer.Actually it really isn't all that old. I think it is about two years old and it does have PCI express. Upgrading RAM isn't really an issue and I can do that. Here is a link to it on amazon.http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGC-RB53-Deskto...M/ref=de_a_smtd

Guest SoarPics

Sony shows that your system shipped with 1GB of memory, though the fact that your on-board graphics are using at least 128MB of that shared memory will surely skew the amount shown by most system programs.Adding a dedicated video card will allow you to tweak for better visuals. Don't be surprised, though, if you fail to see a noticeable increase in FPS or smoothness. As McCrash suggested, better performance can only be assured with newer hardware (faster CPU, FSB, memory, etc.).Good luck,

Sorry to tell you but a 2 year old computer is old by todays standards. If I were you I would look into overclocking your CPU some, upgrade to 2 gigs of ram for sure, and search the forum for instructions on how to do a XP tune up posted by Nick N. My machine it not that much better than yours, although I have a dual core Pentium D 805 2.6 which I was able to OC to 3.4 on air cooling, I have a 8600 GT super clocked edition VC, and tuned using Nicks guide and it has allowed me to be happy with waht I have until Nehalem hits the market.

Jim Wenham