Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

MB and RAM choices.........August 2008

Guest UlfB

> (I figure I can upgrade to a Nehalem next year)..You need to replace the mobo if you wanna upgrade to a Nehalem cpu. The Nehalem will use the socket LGA-1366 not the existing LGA-775.More info on Nehalem cpu family here.http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3326Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Sam, Carl,I have all this ordered now...Q6600 GO... (not just an FSX user so wanted the extra core grunt)Asus P5K-e (like you sam) with WiFi4GB OCZ Ram got some DDR2-1066MHz, it was

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest D17S

Tutorial:1) Set FSB to 400Mhz 2) Set Vcore to 1.45v3) Go fly.Really, let Otto (Auto) handle the rest. If some bios setting gets out of hand and it won't boot, it might reset by cycling power. But if not, the last resort is to remove all but one stick of ram. Don't know why, but that'll get cha back. That Tuniq will work fine. Good choice. Get a trial copy of Everest. Don't trust the bios to set Vcore correctly. I have to set it to 1.5v to get 1.45. Use Everest to stress test and monitor temps and volts.I use the mobo's speedstep function. If sets the multi to 6X (6x400=2.4) for emailing and pops it up to 9X (9x400=3.6) for flying. I also use Vista's sleep function and never shut off the computer. You will have to enable that power state function in the bios. (It's in there somewhere.) You'll like that 98GTX. That's the one I'm thinking about finally settling on. Had a GTX260 for a bit. Its driver disabled sleep and wouldn't recognize my second Vcard. That bumm went back. Shut off Vista's UAC first thing. It'll drive ya nuts.

Blimey.. it's that easy? This has turned out to be a lot cheaper than I thought.. I spent some extra money on a good case, that's future proof with lots of expansion slots, cooling options and also pre-drilled for water cooling (if I ever go that route in future).. blue-ray player, want to watch 1080p on my 42" TV too! Plenty of extra HD space with the new seagate -11's...I was planning on going Nahalem later when it comes out, but to be honest with you... if this setup performs as well as I believe it will.. then I probably won't bother.. I just want something that'll run FSX better than my machine does (AMD 64 3500+ 1GB ram ATI 800 XT) which probably isn't too hard these days!Thanks againCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I followed Sam's advice (though I ended up opting for an E8500 rather than the Q6600) and am very pleased with the result. Tim