Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WebMaximus

5.1 sound in FSX

Hi,Not sure if this should be considered a HW-related question but does someone know if FSX delivers 5.1 sound?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't think it's true 5.1I could be wrong. When I run my 5 speakers I do notice sound from the rear but mainly its just the engines, like the channels just output to the rear as a copy of the front R+L

>I don't think it's true 5.1>>I could be wrong. When I run my 5 speakers I do notice sound>from the rear but mainly its just the engines, like the>channels just output to the rear as a copy of the front R+LWhat if you are in the VC and rotate looking aft. Does the engine sound rotate from front to rear speakers?Ulf B

Reason I asked is I just bought an Altec Lansing FX5051 system that delivers 5.1 sound over USB without even a soundcard, was just curious to know how and if this will work with FSX but suppose I will find out as soon as I have it installed - will keep you posted!

i only hear sound from the front 2 speakers. nothing from the rear or center. how can i fix this?thanks,alex

What sound card are you using? Or is it onboard?Anyway, you'd have to go into the Control Panel, scroll down to Sounds and Audio Devices, then click advanced, use the drop down list to select 5.1 desktop sound or whatever there is...spksettings.jpg

Ryan,Did you miss my post above? I posted the following question as a response to your post:>>I don't think it's true 5.1>>>>I could be wrong. When I run my 5 speakers I do notice sound>>from the rear but mainly its just the engines, like the>>channels just output to the rear as a copy of the front R+L>What if you are in the VC and rotate looking aft. Does the>engine sound rotate from front to rear speakers?You could answer the OP's question easily.Ulf B

So...I have now tried out my new 5.1 system and it works great however FSX don't seem to support true 5.1 sound but I do get sound from all speakers but I belive that is more because of the sound system/Windows spreads the sound between all speakers.I also have a switch on the back of my subwoofer where I can choose 5.1 or 2-4 depending on the audio source and what it supports and for FSX the 2-4 setting seems to work better.