Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redvan

new build/monitor recommendations

Guest Redvan

old wishlist @ $2728: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...shListTitle=FSXnew wishlist @ $1795: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...shListTitle=FSXThe college i'm going to wouldn't let me take out $3500 (after monitor and software, and... TIR4...) for a new desktop... so i need to downsize a little... lolOn the new wishlist: hows that look? Still need to add monitor and software (which i'll probably buy through the college, XP pro and office 07). Plan on OC... not sure how much, as high as it'll go while retaining a good amount of life (ie, dont want it to burn out in a year).Recommendations for a monitor?With old wishlist, was looking at the Gateway FHD2400 24" LCD: http://www.gateway.com/retail/fhd2400.phpIt looks nice to me, but I guess I can downsize that too to keep costs down... especially since i dont really need a 1080p monitor for my desktop as I wont be playing bluerays on it... doh! duh!recommendations for a LCD? I'd like at least a 22"uses: FSX first and foremost. Fallen Empire: Legions, Farcry 2, Fallout 3, Diablo III, Tribes 2, Falcon 4.0 OpenFalcon.And make sure it can handle microsoft word... that's key. The college wouldnt like it if i built a computer that couldn't handle MS word... ;)

Guest Redvan

looks like it has potential. But, how do you think that'll hold up against games such as Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, etc...?also, would you recommend the 800 RAM over 1150 RAM?

Guest D17S

The FSB is going to 400. That means -800 ram is all that is required. Running ram faster will provide no benefit. Crysis, (et al) need all the Vcard you can afford. The GTX260 or the ATI 4870 are the choices there, however FS Only needs an 8800GT. Beyond that, any additional Vcard horsepower is not used for FS.

>And make sure it can handle microsoft word... that's key. The>college wouldnt like it if i built a computer that couldn't>handle MS word... ;)Anything faster than a 386DX-40 should do the trick in this regard. In fact, the 386SX series should also do well, as the math coprocessor they lack is not needed for word processing. The 286 is OK, but you may have to wait up to 10 seconds for MS word to load.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Word lol!They are giving you money for a new computer? That's nice!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Redvan

hows the overheat problem workin out with the GX2's? It solved?also, FSB on the Rampage Formula is 1600/1333MHz...

Guest Redvan

i'm hoping... they denied my request for an additional $3500 for a new desktop :( So i emailed them and asked them how much people usually get... that way i can build around that... lol

Guest Redvan

another quick question, are all newegg.com q6600's G0 stepping?

Guest stabile007

>another quick question, are all newegg.com q6600's G0>stepping?According to the link that Newegg supplies to the manufacturers site it is this processor:http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UMAt least for the retail box edition.If you click the OEM one and click the manufacturers page it has the G) step and the B3 step listed. As to which one they send you I doubt they actually would look and just grab the one that matches the right bun number and plop it in.