Hi allI have just upgraded my system with 4gig mem,9800GTX+.I have a AMD6400+(3.2Ghz) but i am thinking of putting in a Phenom 9850 quad core 4*2.5Ghz,Will this help with FPS and so on??I have seen lot's of post about this but i can't see a clear answer.Vista 32bit SP1,FSX sp2Thanksmark

Guest JIMJAM

My good freind owns a computer store and I get AMD hardware his cost and builds then for me free.I have a simular dual core and have been itching to upgrade but he says wait until the Nehalem comes out.Even if it does nothing for FSX, prices will fall even further on everything else.But from what I have read and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, for fps, go for the fastest dual core.Quad cores will not give you a fps boost but rather faster loads and a smoother flight.I have played around with dual and quads and I cannot see a difference but as they say, your mileage may vary.Also, even though I get a price break on AMD,I am going with Intel unless AMD gets off its #### and gets back in the race.

Guest D17S

Any dual at 3.2 will preform significantly better in FS than a quad at 2.5. Stay with the dual. Use that extra money to get Vista 64 or that 4Gs-O-ram will go to waste. A non-switched 32bit op system will not let physical ram load above ~ 1.6Gs. A switched 32bit op system will allow physical ram loads to ~ 2.6G. With a 32bit sys, that's all FS will be able to use, ever.

Guest D17S

If you haven't heard of it, your syste has not been "hacked" (Cuz you haven't hacked it!) Forget about it immediately. Simply use a 64bit operating system. The mod is built in. Also, FS9 will only use a max of 2Gs under any circumstances (unless you want to hack that too). Only FSX at SP1 or greater can use above 2Gs even with a 64bit operating system. It's a long story. Just use Vista 64 and FSX/SP1+.

Guest D17S

Yes, No. The SPs can use multicores. FPS is generated by a single core. Texture loading uses the other 1-3 additional cores. The multiplication you describe does not occur. They all run independantly.

thanks,i think i understand,With my setup as is i get about 45-65fps with a defuilt aircaft at firdays harbor,and about 17-22 at a addon airport like lszh,tncm,vhhx,egll,eddf using Level-d or cap sim's,with the slides set to the middle.are the fps i am get ok.mark

Your results look fine to me. In fact, if you consistently get 17-22fps at the Aerosoft Heathrow 2008X in all weather conditions without AI traffic in a Level-D 767X then you're doing pretty well by my experience. I have an E8500 o/c'd to 4GHz with an 8800 Ultra and I rarely see this level of performance at the Aerosoft EGLL. 13-17fps is more typical. Elsewhere, things buzz along pretty nicely; the FlyTampa Kai Tak is terrific; even Aerosoft's EDDF is OK; but the Aerosoft EGLL brings my system to its knees.Tim

Guest D17S

That's good. The rig's running fine. It will take FS11 or Intel's next => next gen CPU to do much better than that. An intel rig with a Quad at 3.6 might get you 10% more. It's hardly worth it. More Vcard will not help.Trade some FPS for some additional slider with the default airplanes. Water should stay at 2X low, but all others on the left side of the scenery page should be full right. For the right side, Special Effects full right, shadows off, but AG is the killer. Lock frames at 20, then start bring in AG and traffic until it starts to stutter. Then back off a notch. Trade off between AG and any slider(s) on the traffic page per your preference. Dial it in. AG at 50% allows ~10^ traffic with the default airplanes. These a "FSXMark" canned test fight in the FSX utilities section of the Avsim library that will make this process more convenient. Just keep running the same test-flight as you dial it in. For LVLD/PMDG, AG and traffic totally OFF. All other settings stay the same . . . and so it will go until FS11.