Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dc10boy

video upgrade question.

Hi All, I'm slowly moving to FSX and running high end addons with it.My main sim is FS9 and she has all the bells the bells and whistles.I don't have the money for a complete system upgrade until at least next year so here's the question.....I have an ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo and an athlon64 4000+ OCed to 2.64GHZ, 2GB OCZ platinum DDR Ram and a 256MB 7800GT video card.it all runs on XP32.Would it be worth my while ( and which would be better in FS9 and FSX) to buy either a RADEON 4870 512 card or 2 512MB 8800GT cards in SLI as cost is about the same . would frame rates increase? burries decrease? which would give a better perf. boost and visual quality?the only other game I really play is Call of Duty 2. thank you for all the help you guys so often give.Stan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that sli helps that much in FSX. Can't hurt, but the benifits do not justify the cost. You are already taxing your athlon so there is a problem for FSX. A 512 video card is a good place to start. Plenty of people are running FSX on systems like yours, so it's kind of up to you when and how to start to upgrade. Core duo really is nice.Bob

My advice is upgrade the other way round. Your 7800GT is a really good card and is well matched to your existing system providing your screen resolution is not huge. A new video card on your present system will not see any significant difference.You are better off spending your money on a MB/CPU/RAM combination and putting your existing 7800GT on that, then when you can afford it replace the video card.Alternatively upgrading to a 512MB card will see some benefits , but not sure it justifies the cost??Jim

Spend $110 on a single 8800GT. SLI is not helpful for FS.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133232This will not help FPS. However at your existing frame rates, the 8800 will get you: 1) Whatever res you want, 2) 8Xaa, 16Xaf 3) And all the sliders on the left side of the scenery tab full right (sans water). 4) The maximum Vcard capacity/capability of which FS(X) can take advantage. The rest will be CPU. 2 additional Gs of ram + a 64bit op system can help now.