Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

Optimized DDR2-1066 settings

Guest Nick_N

I thought it best not to be rude and at least conclude our (yours and mine) conversation here since I did have a concern about your tempsI figured it was the AI system jacking that up to 1.7xv as I have never seen it do that any other wayIt looks like you will be fine in that.. just keep it under what I specified.Yes, you know where to find me and you are welcome to pop in and ask what ever you wish. It's best I move on from here to allow room for things to swell, like egos, and I am not constantly correcting in an effort to help people avoid mistakes.Everyone has my suggestions and lists to refer to.later!

I hope you won't disappear from this forum completely, Nick. I think a lot of people would be sorry to see you go.For example, I skimmed your 6-part post back in March (I had a non-overclockable Dell) but was prompted to study it by this thread (now that I have an o/c-able motherboard) and have now tweaked my DDR2-1066 using your tips. What a difference! Latency reported by Everest is down from 79ns to 52-55ns; and, as you predicted, snappier texture loading is the result. Because of other posts I had read, I did not appreciate what a difference these things could make when I bought my new PC: otherwise I would certainly have gone for an X48 with the fastest available DDR3 instead of a P35 with DDR2. I am now considering yet another upgrade ahead of Nehalem/Sandybridge to correct this mistake on my part. So your post in this thread about the current "best available" CAS settings for DDR3 RAM at various speeds, is also very informative. What holds me back is not so much the wasted money - though this is irksome - as the extra time and hastle of having to set up another new PC from scratch.I had grasped that everything needs to be in "balance" and I had already discovered for myself that the CPU was not a simple "bottleneck" - but I had simply assumed that the GPU had become the problem. But I am beginning to understand what it actually means in practice to get things in balance for FSX. What we need is a compendium of your advice, no doubt suitably edited for idiots like me, where it can all be found together in one place and stuck nicely at the top of this forum.Tim

Guest UlfB

Tim,Some comments to your excellent post :-)>I hope you won't disappear from this forum completely, Nick.>I think a lot of people would be sorry to see you go.>I second that.>...>otherwise I would certainly have gone for an X48 with the>fastest available DDR3 instead of a P35 with DDR2.>...>What we need is a compendium of your advice, no doubt suitably>edited for idiots like me, where it can all be found together>in one place and stuck nicely at the top of this forum.I second that. The compendium should be pinned at the top this forum and forum members should be warned to follow advice from any hardware "expert" before consulting the "Nick Hardware Compendium".Personally I'll wait for the release and reviews of the Bloomfield/Nehalem CPUs and the first X58 mobos, before building my new pc. Thank's to Nick I've learned to scan several hardware reviewers and forums and gather information and to compile my own judgement of any new hardware.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest Nick_N

>Personally I'll wait for the release and reviews of the Bloomfield/Nehalem CPUs I would wait till then before buying anything today or soonI can confirm there has been alpha in application and the numbers are there even with the platform only being in alpha at this phase. I can say nothing else so please do not ask.FSX is not a game.. its a memory and CPU nightmare.. the only thing that will help FSX is raw and un-bottlenecked horsepower. FS11 will be differentand yes the game is still GPU bound as well as memory and CPU, just not as much. That will change in the next year as well. FSX slaps the VM as well as the PM with a nightmare of non-optimized code to deal with and the default autogen and scenery will in fact saturate the video card bus which is how GEX fixed part of that problem, by counting the calls and reducing them for both GPU/CPU to a reasonable amount to leave at least minimal overhead.I do want to address a few things. Although I am an engineer I am not an expert on every device and card and I always say when I do not know the answer to a question and do try to be objective. What I do not appreciate is absolutes in conclusions posted when they are false or misleading. Regardless of if the person really believes what they say or not, if it is not prefaced with "in my opinion" or "I am just guessing here" and followed by a 5 paragraph dysentery of technical spew which looks impressive but says nothing and at the same time is generated to look like a professional conclusion, I take offense to that because it insults my intelligence as one who can read that garbage and know what is true and what is complete bull. In that, I do not wish to be followed around the forums where I am forced to not only correct statements so people are not mislead and have more information to make a good informed choice, I have to deal with someone who seems to think this is some kind of competition for who know more than who. I have every right to be ticked off when someone who addresses me with my certs in an sly insulting suggestive manor without at that time any provocation on my part, and, when I am addressing someone else...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=43164&page=along with all the other crap... and even goes so far as to make statements that override the certified expert at Aces who would know better than anyone here what is best in video hardware in FSX, including myself.Thats an ego I do not wish to deal with. I can not have a real conversation with that because its goal is to try and prove things wrong so their past suggestions for hardware purchases are not seen as as inaccurate and costly. Yes, I have your number. I don

I've been watching this thread with great interest because I'm new to OC'ing and love it.Nick, please do not get discouraged because there are self proclaimed "gurus" here. It doesn't take long to sort out the wheat from the chaff on these forums, and those of us less experienced really do learn very quickly who's advice to listen to and whose to disregard.Your contributions -- and especially your attitude toward the newb -- throughout the years is recognized, and GREATLY appreciated!