Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dondo

Video card model numbers

Kicking around the idea of getting a new sim computer. Current setup is P4 2.8ghz, 2 gig PC3000 ram, GF8600GTX 512 video card. It runs FSX okay with everything turned about halfway down. I've been looking at prebuilt systems, Dell XPS's, Acer, etc. My question deals with video cards. Generally, the higher the number the more performance? Would a 9600 GTS out perform an 8800 GT? Here is what I'm kicking around.NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT over-clocked graphics with 512MBversusNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics with up to 512MBWhat does GTX,GTS and GT mean in terms of "goodness"?I've decided that I'll go with a quad core setup this time. I know nothing really takes advantage of the quads yet, but hopefully in the next couple of years, software (Flight sim) will begin to use the extra power on tap.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>My question deals with video cards. >Generally, the higher the number the more performance? Would>a 9600 GTS out perform an 8800 GT?>>What does GTX,GTS and GT mean in terms of "goodness"?The hiarchy of nVidia-based video cards through the 9000 series is in the second number. 9600 is a mid-range GPU and slower than the 8800 GPU. They increase in performance by GT, GTS, GTX. From what I read, the 8800GT 512MB card is optimum for FSX, which is limited by the CPU at that point.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor