Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Reinstalling FS2K2 on another drive?

I just acquired another 80 GB drive which I intend to use strictly for flight sim programs. What is the best method to load FS2K2 on another drive without having to reinstall all the add-on scenery and planes I have accumulated over the last year.Can I just move the entire FS2K2 structure to the new drive, and then alter the registry settings so it points to the new drive? ORInstall FS2K2 again on the new drive, then copy the folders over from my original drive?I really need that "SURE FIRE" solution so I don't really mess up everything. Hope someone has gone through this drill already.Keith

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think the easiest is to just copy it over to the new drive and repoint the Registry entry (or entries if you also have add-ons which have updated the Registry ). The key is to copy it, don't move it or delete the original before the copy is functioning as it should. Sure fire.Doug

If you are comfortable with "messing" with the Windows system registry then go for it. Otherwise, copy your fs2002 folder and rename the copy fs2002OLD. If you already have the new hardrive installed then move fs2002OLD to the folder you intend to install fs2002.Uninstall fs2002 using the Add/Remove Programs menu in Control Panel. Once uninstalled delete the fs2002 folder using Windows Explorer.Reinstall fs2002 to your new hardrive. Once installed, start fs2002 to ensure it operates properly. If so, exit fs2002. Rename the new fs2002 to fs2002NEW. Make sure fs2002OLD is in the same folder as fs2002NEW and rename fs2002. Start fs2002 and ensure it operates properly. If so, you set and can delete fs2002NEW or save fs2002NEW so you have a backup to use if you need.If not, rename fs2002 to fs2002OLD and rename fs2002NEW to fs2002. Restart fs2002 to ensure it still operates correctly. You can now slowly copy the updates from fs2002OLD to fs2002. Check each update and remove any that cause problems.