Sign in to follow this  
Guest Deimos

How to decode a BGL?

Guest Deimos

Is there a specification as to how to decode a BGL?The SDK-information seems mostly to relate to the issue of creating them, which I don't have a problem with. I also know there are tools out there that help me analyze a BGL, but for various reasons I would like to have a better understanding how exactly that analyzing/decoding is done.Is there a recommended resource(s) for that?

As far as I know the tools out there are made maybe by studying the BGL files in hex format. There is no real document that describes how can be done as far as I know.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Deimos

Oh well.. I sort of expected as much. I was hoping that at least _someone_ migth have written something about it, because it seems silly if everyone who wants to read just a tiny bit of information has to do all that studying/decoding all over again.Thank you for your answer though

It depends a bit on what you want to read I guess. For the visual objects the old SDKs still provide some useful information.And I think for the new XML format there is actually a document containing some information:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=rootAnother option is also to read the decompiled SCASM/XML source instead of the BGL file itself. But if this is possible for what you want to do, I can't say of course.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest in_04

HI,what BGL do you whant to decode? For some BGL's the code to decode them is available. Other not.So what BGL do you whant to decode?

Thought I'd tack onto this thread - I'm looking to obtain runway length (longest runway) from each entry in TTools "collected" airports via facilities .bgls - how much trouble am I asking for there? Using VB.net - and I define "using" pretty loosely ;).Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I wrote a program to decompile the BGLs into my own database. Runway info is pretty easy to get. There is a document that does a pretty good job of describing the format, the rest I just figured out as I went.