Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

CPU temperature

Just a quick question - what temperature should an AMD 2100XP run at?Currently mine is running at 73C, is this too high?Processor: AMD AMD Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.73 GHzGraphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600Motherboard Model: NF7-S/NF7-M/NF7 (nVidia-nForce2)Ram : 512

Guest gasebah

Most definitely. It should not go over 60-65 max. I have the same CPU and it is notorious to run at high temps. Try one or two additionla case ventilators.alex

That is really warm, in my opinion. My 2000+ runs at 42C, but I have an Antec reference cooler with a forged heatsink, and 3 case fans. If my temps start to creep up on 50 I start finding ways to decrease the temps immediately.Craig

I have a similar system and my CPU peaks about 63 degrees, I am told this is okay but I want to to get it cooler, I am going to put a hard drive fan in an empty bay which will blow cold air towards the CPU and probably install the round IDE cables to permit better air circulation.There is a great tutorial on cooling at http://www.gamersdepot.com/index.aspNigelVancouverMy System:AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Gigabyte GA 7VAX mobo Albatron GEForce4 Ti 4200P Turbo128MB video card (31.40drv)512MB Samsung PC2100DDR RAMIBM 40GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 20GB 7200rpm hard driveCreative Sound Blaster PCI128 with latest driversCHProducts PCI yoke and pedalsWindows 98FE updatedTwo case fans

Guest Stratus_Fractus

That's hot! My P4 is about 30*C idle, about 45-50 under intense load.

Guest Rob

Yup - that's way too hot.My 3.06Ghz P4 runs at 35*C when idle. Make sure you have the best cooling you can find. I run the standard Intel cooling fan with four case fans in a Lian-Li brushed aluminium case.If possible ... strap your loose wires to the inside of your case to increase airflow.

Guest BAW083

Hell that is hot.ASUS Probe is set on my system so that it never goes above 69 without it shutting itself down (the default is 72).So far i've never seen it go above 56 (in CMOS soon after it's booted) but in Win XP desktop at idle it hovers around the 41-47'C and is currently at 42'c/107'F.

Thanks guys, As a short-term measure I have taken the side casing off and it's currently running at 62C, I already had all the wiring changed to increase the airflow and whilst the new motherboard was being fitted they put in an extra case fan.Forgive my ignorance but reading all of your replies I understand that there seems to be a general agreement amongst you that "cooler is better" is that to make sure the CPU lasts longer or do CPU's perform better at lower temperatures?

Im not completely sure there is factual evidence to prove they either last longer or perform better at lower temps, but I believe it to be true. It might be just a mental thing, but it just seems like common sense to me. The cooler the better. If I wasnt so clumsy, I would try water cooling. My wife would love that just about as much as the PFC jetliner yoke I just bought and the 5.1 speakers. :-lolCraig

Without resorting to water cooling (I am clumsy as well!) will a decent heat sink unit bring the temperature down?If your wife gets talking to mine we are both in big trouble I guess!

Guest Lobaeux4

Just finished a run from KPHX-KIND, pretty good stuff, system temp around 30, CPU at 42, you really need to cool your CPU down.Lobaeux

Guess you're right, how would you suggest I do that - will a decent heat sink address the problem. Currently its idling at 71C!

Guest UweR

Hi, the answer is yes, in combination with a good thermal paste to apply to the core of the CPU. Keep in mind that better coolers will be louder, to stay in an acceptable range I

Thanks Uwe,Looks like my spending ain't over yet! Thanks for the advice I will take you advice and get one fitted tomorrow.Many thanks.

OH MAN!! I GOT YOU ALL BEAT, i run an athlon 2400+ in a GA-7VAXP mobo and i was running it at around 95c/201deg. F!! so far its been going great. but i guess its just a matter of time? i dont know how else to cool it down, ive got 4 fans in my machine, 1 on my GF4 card, 1 on the via chip and 1 + heatsink on my 2400+ and 1 big 4" in the back suckin' it all outi just installed this mobo about 2 days ago and like i said, either the temperature senser is off/bad or i dont know, because my internal case temp. reads about 44C - so i dont know, any advicei will say that fs2k2 really hums ciao!Brian S

Ciao!