Sign in to follow this  
Guest eko

procedure...

Hi, is it standard to get permission from the original author before uploading a re-painted freeware plane? Also, if freeware gauges are used in a panel upload, if they are freeware and not altered, does permission have to be obtained?Examples include the RWYINFO gauge by Ernie Alston and the radar gauge by Eric Marciano.Obviouly clear credit would be included somewhere, such as in a file in the aircraft folder.I don't want to step on anyones toes. I appreciate the countless hours sacrificed in putting an aircraft and panel together.dek

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi dek, Yes you will need to obtain permission from the original author for the repaints... Check the EULA for the original plane model for contact info, I don't know about the panel thing though, but I would obtain permission just to be 100% safe...Cpudan80 :) :+

Unless explicitly mentioned that it's not needed, yes. And if it is not needed, it's still nice to tell them what you're up to. Many authors love to hear from users who like their work for a change (instead of the constant complaints).

I can tell you from having done a couple of collaborations with Eric and his RADAR gauge, that he does request to be asked for permission before his gauge is used. So definately e-mail him.As far as freeware gauges go, most times you do not need to contact the author. Usually, an author will request or state that in the readme. Any freeware gauges which I include in any of my panels/packages which need explicit permission, I make sure I include that info in my redistribution as well. All legitimate authors do this as well.Good luck! And welcome to the content creation party! :-)