Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Was the Concorde cockpit ever modernized ?

I am poring over the PSS manuals right now and preparing for a transat flight. Meantime I was wondering: is the cockpit that PSS has produced the original cockpit for Concorde? If so, was it ever modernized or upgraded? What was the evolution of the cockpit instruments, if any?It's quite amazing in a way that the Conk used a plain vanilla analogue AI and HSI, not to mention INS; was any of that stuff ever turned into "glass" displays? Just curious.Wonderful a/c you folks have produced, thanks again!JS

It was never updated from the original design (except the tcas) and in fact that was one of the arguments that BA and AF used when retiring the aircraft, that it would be too costly to upgrade the cockpit instrumentation, with GPS etc

Guest Fortress

>..and in fact that was one of the arguments that BA and AF>used when retiring the aircraft, that it would be too costly>to upgrade the cockpit instrumentation, with GPS etcTotal crap. Doesn't even come close to being a fact.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/temp/avsim.gifConcorde Training Captainwww.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest Paul Heaney

I Agree, that was not a factor in retiring the fleet.

Guest Gazelle

I'll agree also. It is true though that the reason behind the cockpit not being 'upgraded' wsa that the costs involved would never be recovered during the lifespan of the aeroplane.In other words, the Concorde Fleet would, post upgrade, be flying solely to pay off the cost of the upgrade and even then, wouldn't manage it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.