Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

NASA - COLOMBIA LOST ON RE-ENTRY!

Guest Ron Freimuth

Videoed burning up 200,000 ft over Texas. Debris found in Oklahoma.

Guest Staalplaat

Oh my god, this is horrible!Best wishes for the crew and her family.

I turned on the radio just after 7 (here in AZ) and was listening to the live broadcast of the landing. It was only after a minute or two had passed after the scheduled touchdown that NASA reported lost communication. Before some speculate, one thing I want to stress is that this is not a terrorist incident. Already some have suggested that on the media, and it is simply not possible, given the altitude of the Columbia at the time of reentry.Sadly, we may never know what happened. The Columbia was the oldest in the fleet. I was glued to my TV while attending College in '81, when it was first launched. It flew well past it's original design specs.... I am very sad--sad for the astronauts, their families, and the extended family at NASA. I doubt anyone with a love of space and space exploration isn't shedding a few tears right now. I know I am, and I'm just a 40 something fan of the shuttle program. More than the moon shots, it seemed the technology that defined what the word meant as I entered adulthood.It is truly a sad day for all, most of all, my prayers go out to the people involved. The shuttle is just an object, but it is given a soul by those who fly it, build it, and maintain it. If any of you involved with the program are reading, bless you all...Regards, John

There has been a thread opened in the Hangar Forum. Please post all Columbia messages in that forum. Thanks.