Sign in to follow this  
JETSET843D

Sounds good?- Unfortunately not!

Hi James,I actually agree with you on one thing - if you look at the file details for any of the major sounds like engine/jet whines, you'll see 4-BIT sounds... ? Why did PSS use 4-bit MONO sounds; is it because they were afraid of performance hits?I just tried a freeware soundpack for the GE90 series engines (not necessarily the G90-110/115's used in the 777LR/ER but they are at least 16-bit stereo. But you CANNOT replace the sound.cfg and some of the files from PSS will have to remain as is. You only copy over existing PSS sound files with the ones from the freeware which have the same filenames. The rest of the files and the original PSS SOUND.CFG file, you keep because the CONFIGURATION is the PSS setup and replacing everything may mean you lose some of the cockpit or other sounds.I don't see any performance hit and all sounds work fine, including cockpit warnings, as long as you install as mentioned above. But I have yet to do a full flight.The file is GE90.ZIP at Avsim. John

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi John,Thanks for the tip. After reading your post I installed the GE90.zip by Devyn Silverstein(who is known to make some incredible sound packages), and as you said, without overwriting PSS's Sound.cfg file, and I renamed the 777wind.WAV to 777-wind.WAV so that I'm using his...And I would say it's a nice little improvement!Thanks, :)Jim Richards

Downloading nowcan you also hear the spoilers when they are deployed with this sound set?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest OneTinSoldier

Sorry but I can't say I was listening for that and/or noticed. Any time spoilers are deployed on my flights reverse thrust soon follows! Good question though I suppose, let me know what you find out Clayton.Cheers,OneTinSoldier

Hi Jim,Actually, I also found another one from a really well-known sound developer - Mike Maarse (the other one is from Devyn Silverstein). The file for Mike Maarse's GE90 series sounds is on avsim under " b777_ge.zip ".I work until Monday 7pm so I won't be able to try it but maybe tonight I might try the Mike Maarse sounds. Might be worth comparing the two in quality terms.John

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.