Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardL

VoxATC for FSX Released?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Richard,If you already have VoxATC installed for FS2004 you already have the SAPI5 and TTS voice sets so you don't need to download them again. You might also have SAPI5 from Microsoft's SDK installed which VoxATC uses. Just saves time and bandwidth on the download... if in doubt download the whole thing. If you have the DVD version for FS2004 that includes the ATT voice sets you definitely already have those parts so get the smaller download.

Hi Zane,I emailed Tegwyn these questions but I'm sure you can answer them also. I have the original version with cd from RCS. What does the new version cost? Is it available in CD form as before through RCS? Can you explain about VoxATC-X generating its own AI aircraft? I use World-of-AI for aircraft and flight plans. Regards,Richard

Hi Richard,I don't know about the pricing, that should be on their website or soon up on the RCS site.Regarding VoxATC and AI traffic with FSX this is handled through SimConnect which works very, very well, the traffic movement is the same smoothness as without VoxATC but now they respond to VoxATC's ATC calls, you hear them, they request runway crossings when taxiing, hold short when told to, they operate their lights at night, turn on the landing lights when they pull onto the runway, etc. This traffic feature alone makes FSX with VoxATC much more enjoyable than the FS9 version... even when using the FS9 multiplayer module to create VoxATC controlled traffic as is possible with VoxATC UK and the yet unreleased version 4 (which was halted to get VoxATC X fully developed and released).

So I understand the new version's capabilities, are you saying that VoxATC-X does use World-of-AI flightplans and aircraft? Just instead of FSX ATC controlling them, VoxATC-X does the controlling?Regards,Richard

Yes... I'm using MyTrafficX and the AI traffic I see are the ones from MyTraffic's flightplans.

Excellent!Now, I have downloaded the lite installer but I'm not sure what to do next. I ran the lite installer and it asks what folder to install to. Whould that be the existing VoxATC folder?Apparently the documentation link is not working yet.Regards,Richard

Hi Richard,My VoxATC X installation is here: "C:Program FilesInternal WorkingsVoxATC X" which was default for the full version. You will notice that the earlier version is also in the "Internal Workings" folder but in a folder named "VoxATC"

My original installation is on a partition at D:VoxATC. I selected that folder. The installer is progressing so that must be the right place.Regards,Richard

Hi Richard,You will hopefully find a folder inside your "VoxATC" folder named "VoxATC X" and it shouldn't interfere with operation of the VoxATC inside FS9. Remember to set up your voices (if you have others installed) and your joystick buttons before flying. You will find you have to additionally setup panels in FSX which is prompted at the end of the indexing following the installation. Set up all your panels to have the VoxATC popup and when running FSX you will need to switch to the 2d panel to see this and enable VoxATC. The popup will then display via the key and button you assign, you can even drag it to a second monitor if you are using one.Have fun ;).

Zane,I was able to look at the doc file on-line which mentioned those items to configure.This may be the first bug. The installer appears to be stuck on Processing Facility Data for d:fsxscenery0302sceneryFSGdem0302_us_012009.bgl. Its been stuck on that file for over five minites. I believe that is an FS Genesis file.Richard

OK... I don't have the FS Genesis for FSX on my system so hadn't tested it for VoxATC X. I do have basically all FSG's files for FS9 though and know for a fact that the indexer gets stuck on some of them. As a result I keep all my FS Genesis mesh files (not the landclass) in a folder outside flight simulator which I have specified in my scenery library settings. My folder is called "FSG Mesh" and is located in the "Microsoft Games" folder. Whenever I perform an index for the VoxATC for FS9 I simply rename the mesh folder to "FSG Mesh b" and perform the indexing without problems. I just have to remember to rename the folder back to "FSG Mesh" when finished with the indexing and before restarting FS9. Until Tegwyn can pin down the reason this hangs up I would recommend using my procedure if you are using FS Genesis mesh on either sim. These are only mesh files so don't contain any airport/navaid/waypoint information so leaving them out of the indexing will not have any effect on VoxATC.

I exited out of the hung installer and the config screen appeared. Closed that and relaunched the installer. It gave me the repair screen. I selected Repair, it started processing the facility data but the installer hung on the exact same file again.I'll give your suggestion a try.Explorer shows that file as 478,000kb. Richard

UPDATE:I moved all the FSGenesis files out of the FSX Scenery folders. Took awhile to look through all the Scenery folders to see which ones had FSG files. Placed the FSG files in a temp folder outside FSX. Launched VoxATC-X installer. It processed the facility data files and installed the FSX update.Now I have to move all the FSG back to their proper place. I hope we can get this fixed. I did look at your suggestion Zane, about keeping those out of FSX. For now, I plan to put them back in FSX.I appreciate the help Zane,Richard

OK, I'm baffled... The website downloads page has a heading link for "UK version", which in turn says "available soon" and refers us to the RC Simulations site for pricing (where we learn it's

I believe you are correct that it is not available at this time. An earlier post from the developer stated that the initial release for FSX would be followed by an UK enhanced version and last an enhanced FS9 version with the new AI traffic feature. As for purchasing your license key from the rcsimulations website just click on the "order info" button on their home page and then click on the link to "secure on line order." I received an email with the key within 24 hours of submitting my order. Hope your version comes out soon.

Uggg I guess that means the updated FS9 version is a year or so away. I've fiddled with the VoxATC X demo a bit and I love the improvements over the vanilla US FS9 version but given FSX's poor performance on my machine I won't be making the jump to FSX for quite some time.