Sign in to follow this  
downscc

SID Direct-Fix vs Intercept Radial from Fix

Couple weeks ago we tossed around an ATL departure right off the runway, either going with a direct to fix or flying a track to intercept a radial from that fix. The differences were so close that either worked.FYI: I have found a RNAV SID that indeed specifies a track to intercept a radial from a fix ... KCLT JACAL ONE RNAV; actually, all of the new RNAV SIDs are written this way at CLT on the northbound departures but not the southbound departures. Interesting, these provide a good example of when to use a direct to fix verses a track to intercept.The directions provided are clearly different than for the directions given in the ATL departures. Therefore, I stick to my original interpretation that at ATL the route is a direct to fix.Boy, I can sure get cross-eyed looking at these too much.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest staang

Hi Dan>FYI: I have found a RNAV SID that indeed specifies a track to intercept>a radial from a fix ... KCLT JACAL ONE RNAV; Sure 'nuf. That is one where it looks like a direct to might be the wrong thing to do. It looks like a direct to course would not be close to where the intercept course would be like it was at KATL.>Boy, I can sure get cross-eyed looking at these too much.What do you do, read them like a newspaper every day? 8^)RegardsTerry

Aye.. I'm in the middle of the 0705 update. There are over 400 changes to the 54 locations in my collection. Most of them are just new dates on the approach plates (no change to the admendment number) but each one needs looked at. There are new rnav sidstars and a couple of new rnp approaches tho- I need to wait until the new DAI CDROM comes out in about a week to get the latlons for those. There is no way I can expand the number of locations in my collection by a significant number; therefore, your methodology of importing and translating data to product requirements will certainly remain valuable.I currently include a lot of info for users within each file, but I might have to start cutting down on that to manage the cycle change workload.

Dan Downs KCRP