Sign in to follow this  
Guest deltatango

voice commands

Guest deltatango

Congratulations Bryan on the ATR edition (I just read the AVSIM review). I am very happy to see that it is key stroke, rather than mouse click driven. Maybe now I'll be able to try my voice command idea. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=92611That is, If I can find the time to play with the ATR and FS2crew edition (I don't own either- yet).The idea is only to use voice commands for times when you would actually say something to the F/O, like yes/no/gear up/gear down/engage autopilot/youidiotanotherlandinglikethatandtheonlythingyou'llbrflyingisataxicab/etc...Can you people stop bringing out so many good products!!!!! I have no time (or money) to use them all. ;-) cheers,

Hello Darren,Off hand voice commands would work for:Autopilot on/off.You could also tie a voice command to the gear, however you would have to say the command at the right time. FS2Crew ATR is key driven, but basically the same key is used to run through the various sequences. Make sense?All the best,Bryan

I used to do a lot of tinkering around with voice recoqnition during FS2002 and it's a lot of fun.The best (and most configurable) at that time were Flight Assistant and Voicebuddy. Shoot does not come even close to those, but will do for the purpose you mentioned.However you will still need to press a joystick button to talk to the program, which removes the need for a separate voice command really. Currently only the button press is required to give the command :-) And you will still need to go along with the sequence with FS2Crew, for example you cannot request the gear to be lowered before localizer intercept.I do not recommend having the voice command program on "listen" at all times as it WILL eventually pick up some random sound from your speakers or environment, mistranslate it to a command and throw your FS2Crew out of sequence. Yes, I've tried it ;-)

Guest deltatango

>However you will still need to press a joystick button to talk>to the program, which removes the need for a separate voice>command really. That would be okay if each command were different key presses. Then it be like having the intercom (ICS) set to PTT, where you have to PTT just to talk to other crew members. That wouldn't take anything away from the immersiveness.But unfortunately Bryan has said above that the SAME key press is used for multiple commands, which does kind of negate the voice thing. :(But Bryan, what about commands that require a yes/no response to questions from your F/O? (e.g F/O: 'Parking Brake?' CA: 'Set')Oh well, I am determined anyway.....:-hmmm

Hi Darren,It's complex. For example, during the Before Takeoff Checklist one of the challenges is the Landing Lights.When you press the button to respond, the response that will play is based upon the actual position of the external lights.So if they're on properly you will say: "On" and the FO will challenge you on the next item.If they're not on you will say: "Woops, let me get them."In another case, when the FA tells you the cabin is ready, you can hit the Main button to tell her that's okay, or you can hit the Secondary button to tell her that that's okay but also tell her that the taxi time will be short.The other issue I've mentioned before is that the dialogue in FS2Crew is complex and intricate. If we were just dealing with "yes/no", "on/off" type responses, then voice integration could work, but FS2Crew is not simple so that's not really practical in my view.Cheers,Bryan