Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

Level D 767-300ER for FSX

Excellent review and I generally agree with the comments made. There are significant improvements over the FS9 version. However I think the panel and VC are still a disappointment.The 2D panel is looking it's age, and has not really improved over it's predecessor, 767PIC. The EFIS is clear and readable, but the graphics used are not very realistic. The position and angle of the windshield centre post is incorrect from the pilot's perspective.In the VC, my biggest criticism is that the pushbuttons and rotary controls are still all two dimensional. Compare this to PMDG 747 and the negative impact on immersive realism is quite large. It would affect frame-rates though, maybe that's why they limited the modelling. It can't be said to be the best VC in flight simulation by any stretch of the imagination. All the best VCs have 3D modelled controls, knobs and pushbuttons.Level D 767 is a classic add-on, and the product support is first class, but there is a tendency for reviewers to over-praise it because of it's reputation.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

"negative impact on immersive realism is quite large"Hmmm So does a 3D rotary on the OH dictate positive impact on immersive realism?"All the best VCs have 3D modelled controls, knobs and pushbuttons"o -- k So.. "They" Whoever "they" are, use max polygons in 3DMax and get the eye candy, but what good is a slide show at 4-7 FPS in OVC with rain on a short final where the sim becomes unflyable? But hey who cares! You have 3D controls, knobs and pushbuttons that look great!{I need some cheese with my wine.}

>>"negative impact on immersive realism is quite large">>Hmmm >>So does a 3D rotary on the OH dictate positive impact on>immersive realism?>Those 2D overhead controls in the VC do reduce realism, maybe not significant for you, but for me it is a big negative. The overhead in the Level D 767 not a good visual representation of the original because of this. So yes, 3D controls do improve immersive realism.>>"All the best VCs have 3D modelled controls, knobs and>pushbuttons">>o -- k So.. "They" Whoever "they" are, use max polygons in>3DMax and get the eye candy, but what good is a slide show at>4-7 FPS in OVC with rain on a short final where the sim>becomes unflyable? >I realise Level D fans don't like the 767 to be criticised, even constructively in a small way. For "they" try "PMDG" but I could name many more. The PMDG 747 has a superior VC and 2D panel to the LDS767 so there is some room for improvement. Obviously, very low fps is unacceptable, but the reason the Level D VC is still mostly 2D is because Level D chose not to remodel it for FSX. That's what VCs looked like back then but things have moved on. Other developers manage more detail in the VC without killing framerates.>>But hey who cares! You have 3D controls, knobs and pushbuttons>that look great!>>>>>{I need some cheese with my wine.}A 3D slideshow is no use to anyone, of course. But let's leave sarcasm out of this, shall we?The reviewer says"All in all, I would say that the VC in the FSX version of Level D 767 is without a doubt the best virtual cockpit I have yet to see in any version of flight simulator."The LDS 767 VC is certainly not the best available, it's good, but not the best. Which was my main point.I don't regret buying the FSX upgrade to the LDS767 at all. It's an improvement but not a huge step forward over the FS9 version, which was already dated visually (though the overall experience using it is still excellent). Level D cannot rest on it's laurels forever, though.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest roystondh

>Level D 767 is a classic add-on, and the product support is>first class, but there is a tendency for reviewers to>over-praise it because of it's reputation.>>KevinI have just purchased the fs9, FSX upgrade and printed manuals for $100, because I am in the UK thats currently

Guest Binkles

Having just upgraded my computer to something that can run FSX ok, and FS9 well, I bought both - without hesitation, what amazed me, is that I can get it running in FSX well.I'm really enjoying learning this plane, and find VC fiddly to say the least, plus I'm going to be building a home cockpit around it, so a VC isn't essential for me.Love the plane, and I think you don't necessarily need a reviewer to tell people it's good.

I understand your point about the 3d controls, it's a bit less important to me, but I do get your point and share the general sentiment. I agree that the best VC for appearance and (fs) functionality is very likely the 744. Overall immersion on the other hand is still equal for me - once I get flowing the visual stuff still fades in significance.They did not recode the 767 VC, but I would not be surprised if LDS' 757 VC is totally 3d with ALL functions available.regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark