Sign in to follow this  

Throttles

Guest mikehaska

Hi everyone...Just wanted to get a feel for what people were using as throttles- CH Products, Suncom, Saitek...? I am particularly interested in standalone throttles, ones you don't need to plug into a joystick to work (since I already have a USB yoke)Thanks in advance...

Save yourself a lot of money, and just build your own :-)See file rcbth-10.zip in the library.Rob

I use a CH Yoke now which has a throttle built in.I've also got a Suncom HOTAS setup for military sims and as a backup, which is currently gathering dust (must get me a gameport splitter somewhere I guess, but then there will be way too many cables running across my desk...).

I'm using the PFC Throttle console with the turbo prop, 2-engine, and 3-engine throttles interchangably. Best darn chunk of change I ever spent!Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi there,I also strongly recommend the PFC throttle quandrant and it is well worth the money. Hey Gord Noseworthy, can you give me some tips on calibrating the turboprop throttle quandrant to accomodate the PSS Dash 8 aircraft ( if you have it in your hanger ) ? I would really appreciate it if you can.ThanksJ.C. (MYNN)

Hi J.C.,While I do not have the PSS Dash 8 in my hanger, I do use Oleksiy Frolov's with my PFC throttles (turbo prop). If PSS's Dash is set up similar to, or the same way as Oleksiy's with regards to the throttles, you will have to create a user custom profile and assign the left/right throttle and condition levers to #'s 3 and 4 respectively (default is 1 and 2 if using the default Turbo Prop profile). Hope this helps!Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Unfortunately there is no good inexpensive throttle set availiable. I have two SunComm's and use them for Dual throttles and Dual props then use the CH levers for mixtures. Unfortunately the Suncomms are not made with the best quality potentiameters, they jitter and change calibration all the time. I have replaced the pot in one set twice already and am getting tired of always fixing them. I looked into building a 6 lever set and all the literature I can find has you wiring them to a gameport plug and using a USB adaptor. I use these adaptors now and am not happy with them. The Radio Shack ones only have a defined number of "steps" so when you advance or retard the throttles they hang slightly then jump up or down to the next step. This makes it very hard to precisely set power or prop RPMs. I am in the process of building my own 6 Lever set and plan to hack the 3 levers out of my existing CH USB yoke and buy another USB yoke to do the same, and have them work totally USB. Thats seems to be the cheapest option to get a good reliable 6 lever set for flying twin props which is what I enjoy the most.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg