Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevehow

Maule climb Altitude??/

Guest stevehow

HiI'm using the Maule in a mission to rescue the climber,but can't get it to climb above 7300ft.engine loses power and it's a DEATH DIVE!!!i've tried boost power and Pitot heat,but as soon as i climb over 7300ft,it loses power and that the End...just can't get over the mountains. any help appreciated steve

Have you got the FS settings on realistic where you control the engine settings? If this is the case, you'll need to manage the engine very carefully to get the best out of the aircraft.Most importantly, at the altitude required to safely land where the climber is (from memory about 12500ft I think) you'll need to lean off the fuel mixture to account for the thinner air high up in the mountains (pull the red lever, on the control panel, back towards you).You should start doing that from about 5000 ft, which, en-route to the first waypoint of that mission, is where you meet an inversion layer (a band of grey cloud). Progressively back off the mixture and you should still be able to maintain about 450 feet per minute rate of climb up until about 9000 feet, by which time you'll have the lever quite a way back, but the climb rate will probably only be about 200 feet per minute as you get higher up and your speed will be much slower.This mission simulates quite a dangerous flight, as you are in close proximity to the mountains, on the edge of the performance capability of the engine and at a slow speed which may get near the stall as you get higher. This is the so called, 'dead man's corner' of the flight envelope and calls for gentle bank angles and well thought out routes through the peaks, to maintain a climb as well as adequate terrain clearance.The elevator trim controls (default: button 3 and 4 on a flight yoke) are your friends on this mission, carefully trim the aircraft to a gentle climb, watch that engine mixture and prop control (monitor the rate of climb indicator) and track back and forth until you have enough height to safely get where you want to go.If you were doing this flight in real life, you would also want to make a steep and fairly fast approach to the last mountainous landing site, as it is likely that there would be some wicked wind shear where the precepice drops away, so you'd want to go through that as quickly as possible.Good luck, if you can do it, you can consider yourself a pretty good sim pilot :-)

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

These are excellent pointers and are exactly what you need to do. Also you might want to save often as the landing at the rescue site isn't easy. There's no way I would do it in real life...You also find that in the Civil Air Patrol mission the Maule has a tendency to ice up the air intake, so beware of that.

Guest stevehow

Excellent Advice.tricky missions,but loving it. thanks again steve

Did this one again to check it out and make sure I was telling you the correct stuff. A correction is that the last landing site is at 14,200 ft and that's still not a problem as I got the Maule up to 15,000 feet without too much trouble (of course breathing might be a problem in real life, as would the risk of hypoxia, but not a problem in the sim as FSX doesn't model that), the pilot figure in the Maule could probably do with a big chunky sweater too, as the outside air temperature was reading -12 when I touched down.In reality, whenever I've gone up to that height in an unpressurised aircraft, oxygen gets turned on at 10,000 feet (with 8,000 feet being the typical altitude that airliner cabins are pressurised to incidentally).Back with that mission, you'll find that the technique for an approach to that last site is not dissimilar to the one used to land at the jungle strip portrayed in the movie 'Air America' with a Turbo Porter. The steep and fast approach into the wind being used to get safely through the wind shear effect cause by the prevailing wind curling over the peak. Don't worry about the fast approach speed as you'll touchdown uphill, which will bleed off the speed very quickly and might even see you giving it a bit of throttle to get up to near the injured climber. You may also have to retract the skids when you come to a halt to prevent sliding backwards, although your judgement at the time depending on where you finish up will be your best guide.The first time I ever did a landing like that in real life, I was being shown the technique before being cleared to do that kind of thing myself, and I was pretty alarmed as it seemed like we were diving straight at the ground like a Stuka, however, like most things you get shown in an aeroplane, they seem scary at first but then you realise it's that kind of thing that makes it fun and you start to wish you could do that kind of stuff all the time. The same is true of spinning, #### near wet my pants the first time I ever did one, but by the time I'd done three, I was wishing we were up higher so I could do a few more!Anyway, good luck with the mission.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest stevehow

thanks chockMy real flying consists of a relative stroll in the park,compared to you...takeoff,fly alt 2000ft for 1hr... land.none of the acrobatics.except a bit of turbulance. a friend of mine owns a Piper Arrow.very different beast from the Maule.i'm still going to beat this mission tho........eventually:-) :-) best wishes steve

Guest azflyboy

To keep the engine from losing all power in the CAP mission, you have to use the alternate air intake for the engine, as the aircraft will pick up induction ice.To engage the alternate air source, you have to go to the main 2d panel and click on the silver, narrow oval shaped handle. The handle is modeled present in the VC, but it can't be manipulated in the VC.