Sign in to follow this  
dlhusk

Need Help Installing SDK

I think I may have figured out what is wrong, but it will require me to re-install FSX again if I am correct, naturally, I'm not thrilled about the prospect, as this will m,ean my eighth re-install (including ones that didn't work).When I installed FSX, I selected the option 'for all users', and I suspect that despite this, the folder where the flights are saved is in my user folder, whereas it should really be in the 'all users' folder based on my choice. I tried copying everything over to that folder to see if it would work, but of course it didn't, however, if I install it for my use, the paths may then be correct.It's a long shot, and if it's correct, then I actually had the paths correct all along, and was altering them uneccessarily because it wouldn't work. This might mean that I've spent most of the weekend going around in a big circle for nothing, simply because MS are too lazy to make the SDK self installing. Now why do I think that might be true I wonder?Anyway, I will try that tomorrow.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest odog

just a couple things that might help...first of all, i'm glad i'm not the only one who fought this. What hung me up was the creation of the SDK folder inside of FSX. Where was that bit of info? Once i got that done, it worked. Just remember that the tools option is only visible IN FLIGHT. You cant see it at the beginning UI.thanks for the help guys.jb

Can anyone confirm where the xml file should be placed? my instal is clearly not picking up the instruction to load the tools, and it's the only thing I can think of which may be wrong, the paths to the tool dll's are all fine and correct in the xml file, but maybe this is in the wrong place?

Alan Bradbury

Chock, the dll.xml file goes in:C:Documents and SettingsHP_AdministratorApplication DataMicrosoftFSXDanny

Yup, that's what I thought and that's where I have it placed, but it still refuses to work

Alan Bradbury

Chock, can you please post a copy of the dll.xml?DannyCouple of points:1.) Are all 3 dll's in SDK folder in FSX folder2.) Do you have Net Framework 2.0 installed?Danny

Yup, here you go.. This is located in... C:Documents and SettingsAlan BradburyMy DocumentsFlight Simulator X FilesAnd the SDK is installed in the Microsoft Folder alongside the MSFSX folder, which is the default install location, I have created a folder in the MS FSX folder called SDK and that has nothing in it other than the three dll files for the SDK tools.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>Launchdll.xmlFalseFalseObject Placement ToolFalseFalseC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSDKobject_placement.dllTraffic ToolboxFalseFalseC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSDKtraffictoolbox.dllVisual Effects ToolFalseFalseC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSDKSDKvisualfxtool.dllOh, almost forgot, yes, I'm pretty sure I rmember installing the .NEt thingy on as I believe it was a requirement for SP2

Alan Bradbury

I think I see the problem..my dll.xml is in the HP_Administaor folder then you go into application datamicrosoftfsx I think that is rightdanny

That would be okay if I actually had an administrator folder, or even a folder called 'application data' but unfortunately I don't :-)

Alan Bradbury

Here is the exact path from one of Spawn's posts:Navigate to your dll.xml file and open in Notepad. The dll.xml file can be found at :Documents and SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFSX

At last! thanks for your help.Apparently I do actually have one of those folders, but it doesn't show up at all when you do a search for it in windows, neither does it display in the menus or via opening folders, but it does actually show up if you type it into the address bar, which is odd since I have the settings configured to show hiden files, in any case, that actually got me to the required folder, and sure enough when you put the xml file in there, it works, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction, now all I have to do is figure out why the #### that folder isn't displaying under any other circumstances. Well that and put the Windows SP2 developers on my deathlist... :-)

Alan Bradbury

Chock, Good Deal :-)Well, we all learn from experience but my bet is only the "most tech savies" will be working on this SDK, LOL. Now that I have the SDK installed all that remains is to learn to use it...Enjoy!Danny

I have to say, from what I have read, it seems that it will require a lot less technical knowledge than the previous SDK, which was not hugely difficult to use with a bit of sussing out. Even an idiot like me managed to create some fairly in-depth adventures with animations in them and the like for FS9. :-)

Alan Bradbury

It will be great to see what you create in the way of missions. Please let me know if you have one to beta taste. I am still trying to finish the Tokyo Executive one...Don't tell me how it ends..But it is a real challenge and fun. Worth $75.00 just to fly it.Danny

I have big plans for a continuation of the adventure themed missions I posted on this site for FS9, much of the follow-up adventures (now missions) are already designed in terms of concept and indeed artwork, but I held off on producing them for FS2004 when I got wind of the SDK for FSX.Which of course is why I was so keen to get it all up and running, kind of annoying that it took me so long to get it going, as now work has intervened and I'll have to wait a few days to get the thing together. Gotta learn another program tonight as I'm due to be training people on it tomorrow, FS really takes over your life doesn't it?Good job I'm pretty clued up already on what I have to teach tomorrow, or I'd be seriously winging it. :-)Good luck with your efforts too.

Alan Bradbury