Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Desktop Wings VFR Atlas

Does anyone have this?http://desktopwings.com/vfr.htmhttp://desktopwings.com/online-store/scsto...VFR%20Atlas.jpgHow durable is it? Are the pages laminated or just plain paper? The description says "We offer these books of slightly outdated charts at a significant savings to use with flight simulator.", but how "slightly outdated" are they? It's based on WAC charts. I prefer sectionals for real flying because of the extra detail, but this is for FS which isn't going to have that much VFR detail.I already have full IFR charts (NOS) for the lower 48 US, but I'm wanting to do some real VFR flying, not just punching direct on the GPS. I have a dozen or so Memphis sectionals, and a couple for surrounding areas. I pretty much have that Memphis sectional memorized by now. :-hah

I have the low altitude IFR book. Occassionally, an intersection where a "bend" in an airway is located is not shown, but the material has been pretty consistant with FS data.I am a former VFR pilot so I switched from earlier versions of X-Plane to FS2K2 on impulse to get the more detailed landmarks in scenery. Both real and now on FS on longer trips I used WAC charts because the extended coverage and not to fill up the cockpit with paper. In a couple of areas like four charts surrounding my "home" base I used sectionals.If you use electronic navigation as an assist, the WAC charts may suffice. In my real and now simulated journey of twice going from Minneapolis, MN to Bridgeport, CN, the WAC charts provided all the detail needed including checkpoints for detours due to weather. I think I have six of them fairly current.So it boils down to the the fact of what area you wish to fly. If you want wide spread adventuring, I'd go for the album.The IFR book pages are not laminated but are on sturdy weight paper and spiral bound. Additional pointers are given to the next page in any direction and there is enough overlapping so checkpoints can be common among adjacent pages for laying down your route. Perhaps the VFR album is similar. Also note that detailed maps (as I recall) of class B terminal charts is included which will give highly detailed features at a 4nm scale.So, you can economicly build your collection with current secs or wacs over time for your areas of interest, or go at once with the slightly outdated but capable wacs for the whole US. I have not seen any lakes or rivers move too much lately .