Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Noise heard from HD just before CTD???....

Ok, first a good idea to have a forum dedicated just to CTD's. Hopefully puts a lot of heads thinking together on a single topic.My issue could be unique enough that only if you have experinced it would you be able to chime in but please feel free.When running FS2004 I will start getting within the first minute or two physical noises from one of my hard disk and then usally a few minutes later the PC will freeze up (no blue sceen of death or error message). It sounds like the swinging "arm" (for lack of a technical term) writing to the disks makes some clicking sound). Personally I think is is a Write Error to the disk but what is causing it I have no idea.Now I know what you are sayng - "this is an easy one, your hard disk is about to fail". Well could be, but I can run my PC for hours without so much as a hick-up but the moment I run FS2004... bam a freeze. I can re-create it every time in FS, even on command. If I am slewing and switch to Top Down View, I can hear a click from the hard disk.So first question:1. - Can a software issue cause a physical reaction to a hard disk?So you may say, ok you just have a corrupted version of FS9. So I re-installed a "virgin" copy onto a completely different hard disk. Guess what another freeze up?!?!So now I am leaning to needing a complete re-install of Windows but that is last on my To-DO list.I am slowly going through the process of eliminating all the variables: hardware, software, FS, Windows, heating, power. Running hardware tests, etc., But for question #22. - Has anyone experienced something similar?FYI: System Specs - Home BuiltIntel P4 3.4Asus MB2 Gig OCZ RAMATI X800 XT All-In-One AGP (6.9 Catalyst drivers)WD Hard disks, several SATA and EIDE typesAntec 480 Watt PSUWindows XP Pro Sp2Latest Direct X driversFS9.1P.S - Cone to think of it after I wrote my specs, I do not recall hearing these noises until AFTER I upgraded my ATI drivers?!?! Mmmmmm... guess what I'll be trying next. ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well guys, I think I found my own answer. Thought I would post it in case anyone else is looking for ideas as to what my cause an issue like this. After four days of testing, trial and error, swopping componants, re-installing FS9 and then finally just short of re-installing Windows (and all that ugly mess entails), I discovered it was a POWER SUPPLY issue.I was running an Antec 480 watt PSU but I slowly chipped away at it by adding newer AGP card, more memory, several more hard disks (5 right now). But how was I to know? Heck the thing would power up, I was using it for hours without a hitch.... until, I would run FS9 lately.That was the first clue, only happened then and it would happen immediately. First, I fly for a minute or two, then I would start to hear noises from my hard disk. So I changed hard disks but then heard noises from them! That should have been my 2nd clue. So I almost thought a corrupt Windows until I smelled something melting!!Sure enuf, snooping around I found my PSU's fans were not turning! PC still on and running but no fans. I could smell the mleting plastic from the wiring inside (not a good smell).So I just put popped in a new 600Watt PSU and immediately noticed the difference. The fans where humming with a lot more RPM's. And I have had FS9 running almost an hour now without so much as a whimper coming from a hard disk.So in short... dont forget to check you PSU!!! ;Happy flying,ClutchNow back to Project 9 Dragons