Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Hide Exterior View

Imagine I want to fly 100% IFR. For this reason, I'd like to take advantage of all my monitor surface to display the panel, and take all the CPU to animate the panel with no exterior view. As far as I know, FS2002 does not let you close the window that displays the exterior view. The only solution I found is to resize the panel so that it takes all the screen space.In that case, does FS2002 consume CPU to calculate the exterior visualization?Does the video card work to render the landscape (with textures and details) even if it is not visible?This is importnat for me as I plan to use FS2002 in IFR mode on low-end machines.Thanks !!Eric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Won't work as the processor still writes the textures `behind` the panel. Also, the panel itself requires large quantities of system resources to display the gauges (imagine the real time calculations going on just to display an instantaneous readout of IAS). More system resources are required to display the panel in anything other than default as well.Your graphic card may have the capacity to not store images that are not visible, but that is usually a feature of higher end cards, not lower end. As you don't give your system specs it's difficult to be more specific but I would say that you are utterly wasting your time trying to achieve this. You would be better off getting a part time job and earning the extra money for a system upgrade.ChasW

Not a bad idea!I've just tried an experiment along these lines, I set all display sliders to the left, unchecked every box with the exception of hardware acceleration and resize panel with main window. Filtering was set to off and display resolution at 800x600x16.I set the framerate slider to unlimited, and selected the C-172SP. When it loaded on the runway at Meigs with the Chicago buildings in the background I'm seeing a framerate of 39-42 fps. Using the IFR panel and heading west towards Midway, I'm getting between 48-77 fps(average of 63). This is on a Dell 700mhz Celeron with a GeForce2 MX400. Interestingly, the graphics are actually almost as good as FS2000, except for some shimmering textures, and of course everything runs without any stuttering. I don't know exactly how "low end" the machines are that you want to use, or if you have video cards installed in them, but with all the display options minimized and using the IFR panels you should be able to run the simulation quite well even with the exterior views.

Hi DouglasHow about just to turn the exterior wiev right Verical upwards i.e. right into the sky. I would presume that it would use less CPU resources. Set weather to no clouds and a very low visibility !!RegardsHenrikBGGH

Good idea !! As I have no exterior view, I can set the meteo with no cloud, and look up to the sky. This will give the best possible frame rate.About the machine specs, I didn't provide them because I don't have them... A group of people (learning pilots) want to base part of their pilot education on the use of FS2002. They don't have any machine today, but they will very probably get "low end" second hand machines because they don't have much money and have to buy several of them.Thanks for the info anyway. I thought we could simply close the exterior view, but it appears impossible...