Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

What's the trick to get ATC to call planes correctly?

Hi,Spending more time these days adding realistic planes to the AI. ATC wants to call them by Nxxxx rather than by name such as Baron or Beech or whatever. I think I can disassemble the .blg by using Ttools and edit the files to work better, but is that what it takes? Sounds like a lot of work...Also, I fly a modified V-22 Osprey and ATC calls me Experimental. How can I change that? My aircraft.cfg seems to have all the right stuff in the right place. I'd rather they call me "Boeing" than "Experimental" anytime.dolph

Guest RonB49

That problem is often caused by incorrect data in the aircraft.cfg file for the offending airplane. There are two sets of info in each aircraft.cfg file:1. Manufacturer, tail number, airline, flight number, etc. to be used for screen display as an AI label.2. The same types of information for use by ATC to reference the user plane.The former (AI label data) is straightforward, what is entered is what is displayed.The ATC info is confusing. Sometimes a model number is required (C-310, for example) but the resultant ATC call says "Twin Cessna." In this case, if Twin Cessna was entered instead of C-310, then ATC would use the tail number (Nxxx). This is a hypothetical example only; I may be wrong about C-310/Twin Cessna specifics.Similarly, indiscriminatly entering the manufacture's name can cause a plane to be called "Experimental." An example of this can be "Beech" and "Beechcraft." One of those is correct and the other is not.There is (or was) a Web site that listed these "rules" but I can't find the link. The site was specifically about FS2002 but the rules still apply. Perhaps someone can give us a URL. Anyone? R-

If not doing so, you also might try installing Edit Voice Pack.

Thanks, you got it. The correct aircraft.cfg section that ATC recognizes as aircraft type is as follows. If you get the right combination, it all works flawlessly. Thanks much.[fltsim.0]title=Bell-Boeing Ospreysim=V22model=panel=sound=texture=kb_checklists=Bell-Boeing-Osprey_checkkb_reference=Bell-Boeing-Osprey_refatc_id=VM23 <<<

Guest RonB49

Hi Dolph,Did you figure this our on your own or did you find the Web site that I mentioned? I'd really like to return top that site, if I could only find it again. R-

Ron,I pretty much took what you said and experimented. Confusing at first but it makes sense now. ui_ is the "user interface" data, i.e. the setup screen. anything marked atc_ is just that, ATC related data. I don't know any websites that make this perfectly clear. Maybe I should start one??? haha.I think the key to getting things to work properly is to install editvoicepack and update the voices in the sim with that program. I don't think Osprey was in the original voices, because it kept calling me Experimental until I did so.dolph