Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

sga dc-10 TAKE OFF

Question about the SGA DC-10-- No matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get off the ground in less than about 9000+ feet or so.I've tried several flap settings, slats, 5, 15 22.. etc.. different trim settings, etc., Different Vr speeds. Not sure what I am doing wrong.An approximate example--- Flaps 22, trim at 7 degrees.. it takes 26 seconds to reach 100kts, 33 seconds to reach 120 kts. etc., rotating in the mid 130's, for instance-- the main gear will not leave the ground until about 170 kts..and maybe 45 seconds...I know I am not being accurate here. but just one example of many--it never leaves the ground sooner than about 9000 ft of RWY and 170 kts..If you want to enjoy the New Year DON'T get on this DC-10 with me flying it.:-) Any idea welcome...

decrease fuel and/or passenger and/or cargo weights.*takeoff flaps is 15*trim +3 to +4; 110%N1 (or 99%N1 'flex' w/a long runway); *VR at the following weights: 400000 - 146, 450000 - 156, 500000 - 167, 550000 - 170, and 575000 - 180*the '10 has a highly swept wing (35 deg.), this requires a high angle of attack at low speeds (meaning a high pitch to produce lift at takeoff and landing). therefore a '10 will need to rotate at VR at a rate of 4 deg a second to a max of 17-18 degees. because of this the '10 has tall gear and 'rake to the tail' allowing for the 'high' rotation.a max gross weight '10 will have an initial climb at around 1000'/min. pull up the flaps slowly as you gain speed. for example: Vsr at 575000 is 252 kts.i suggest you use the 'FS2004 SGA McDonnell Douglas DC10 Panel' ( sgadcpnl.zip on flightsim.com) by Staffan Ahlberg w/modifications by Mike Baumann and Fraser Turner. this panel also contains hints on flying the classic DC10.SGA worked hard at making aircraft 'fly real' (within the limits of the FS flight engine). for this reason their aircraft are not always easy to fly 'out of the box.'there is a somewhat functional SGA forum -http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...topics&forum=29some SGA fans share informtion on eric's 'vistaliner' forum -http://www.eastern-va.com/vistaliners/(forum link at top of the page)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Thanks very much D or Scobie. :>)I have great respect for the folks at SGA and love their other planes that I have,,I left a post at the SGA Forum.. and installed that wonderful panel you suggest, although I don't see "hints' on flying... Things are definitely getting better.. Although it still takes 9000-10,000 to get the gear off the ground ---after that, no problem...I've googled for DC-10 ref speeds without luck yet... I'll keep looking.Dumb question-- how do I lower weights? in the cfg file? Might be over my head as my cfg file knowledge is limited...Thanks again..

[blockquote]>how do I lower weights? in the cfg file? Might be over my head as my cfg file knowledge is limited...[/blockquote]you may change the cargo, passenger and fuel weights as you do with other FS aircraft - through the menu: aircraft / fuel & payload. if you don't adjust weights the '10 will be overweight by default.decrease the amount of fuel (the number of weight stations (16 i believe) for cargo/passenger make adjustments a challenge, and could lead to the aircraft's center of gravity being out of blance). for practice get the aircraft gross weight down to 450000 lbs or so and then work up to higher weights.which airport are you departing from? the information i shared are for sea-level at standard pressure & temp. (simply: higher and hotter means longer takeoff run.)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

The -10 requires a LOT of concrete to get up to the required rotation speed at high weights. In real life, for example, I was once on a DC-10-30 departing KLAX and we rolled for well over 60 seconds before rotating. It was almost scary. Our climbout speed must have been at least IAS 200. We had full pax and full fuel for a flight to London Gatwick.The SGA DC-10 is truly superb and when used with Staffan's modified panel is a very good and exciting add-on. Keep working at it and be patient on that takeoff roll (!)Good luck.JS

EEII! Oh Man---Dumb Dumb Dumb.. Of course--The MENU-- duh! my old brain is full.. :>)I've been using too many 'Load Managers" :<(I'm experimenting at O'Hare rwy 32 lots of concrete..It's margarita time!!

Thanks JS.I couldn't believe what I was experiencing... Now I believe!Guess I'll never TO from Rochester NY, where I live. Although the Concord came here once as did Bush in a 747, I assume,, 8000' runway.I remember taking off (as a passenger of course) in Albuquerque--5000+'MSL whatever it is----- RWY 8?-- the 13,000 footer.. in a 727 heading EAST where there are MOUNTAINS--HIGH MOUNTAINS, man-- we burned off fuel for about 10-15 minutes before take off. THAT had me worried to begin with.We rolled ... and rolled and rolled.. I was watching the 1000 foot markers go by.. 'OMG, we are NOT going to make it!' We barely did--illegally, I'm sure...This is a great plane no doubt.. Biggest plane I have decided to learn how to fly..I love it...and will be patient..Thanks..

Hey Bill:Well done!I just noticed your Healey and Tiger listed at your sig. Man, those are truly historical machines. I'd like to either one down some concrete and test their Vr speeds !JS

Hi JS,The Tiger and Healy have a strange story. I got the Tiger as a college student in.. 1963-1964. A fellow student/friend had a cream Healy 3000. We used to double date in both cars...and drag on country roads at night.. yikes!! To be young... :-eek When I went to grad school I needed something bigger so I sold the Tiger to the friend and got a Pontiac 326 "station wagon"(remember those?)-- I always coveted his cream colored Healy so about 10 years ago I found one and got it.Then a few years ago I had a call from the same guy, who was retiring and asked me if I wanted his Tiger back! He had kept it in immaculate condition all those years.. I said you bet and he practically gave it to me...Few people ever heard of them...Their Vr speeds? Well, I'd say if they had wings they would NOT need as much concrete to get off the ground as the DC-10!:-)

Yeah, nobody even knows what a Tiger is, eh?My fave was always the Plus 8 Morgan but even that's history now and the ash wood frames fall apart after 5 years.But Healey lives forever!JS

I think we have hijacked the thread.. sshhh--I used to have a friend who restored old woody bodies.I knon almost nothing about cars--- can't fix anything-- I covet a white over blue 1956 Chevy Belair 2 foor !:-ukliam :-spacecraft