Sign in to follow this  

New hard drive

Hello:I just installed a new SATA hard drive. I would like to move FS9 to the new drive. I don't want to lose all my scenery and AI. If I install and then copy overwriting then I just have to reinstall payware that needs activating? I saw a post about this but there were conflicting methods.Is it possible to do a backup and then restore to the new drive?Any help would be appreciated.Best RegardsRick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You should be able to copy everything to your new drive, depending on which drive you want to use for the master, or create a partition just for flightsim stuff.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

You can copy all your scenery and aircraft and AI traffic bgl's straight over (make sure you remember your scenery.cfg too!)Yes payware aircraft will need reinstalling.Also complex stuff like Ultimate Terrain, GEPro, AS6 are best reinstalled.

You can't just backup and restore, because installation of FS writes settings to the registry.Recommend you assign your new partition the same drive letter as the old installation (I use Partition Magic to do that). Then do a complete install of FS on the new drive. Once that's done, copy the entire old FS directory over the newly installed one. That will leave you needing only to reinstall those add-ons that also need to write to the registry or that need to install license/key files.I also recommend you defrag your drive once you're done.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Just did it this week myself. I did the following...1. installed a new copy of FS2. copied my previous FS folder over the new one.3. copied my fs9 config files from docs and settings over the new ones4. began testing aircraft. When I hit ones that require reinstall for registration, I simply reinstalled them. Sceneries were a non-issue for me. They all copied just fineWith 45 gigs of FS9, I sure didn't want to rebuild it. This worked fine for me.