Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

FS9 quits by itself...

Before things get too spun up here, I have to say that in my years of simming madness, I have seen FSUIPC blamed publicly for every malady up to and including global warming. Almost always, the problem turns out to be something else.There are so many people using FSUIPC that it's hard to fathom this sort of error just occurring to a handful of people should a real bug exist there.But if there's one guy in FS-land that can get to the root of a FS problem as fast as is humanly possible, it's Pete Dowson, the Energizer Bunny of flight simming. But only if he's presented with some credible data to chase the bug with...and that should be done on his forum.Scott--are you monitoring your memory usage during those flights? I'd keep task manager open during a test flight and keep an eye on the memory commit rate...if it creeps up steadily you have a memory leak. Also, if it occurs regularly 1-2 hrs into a flight I'd be considering heat buildup and watching the CPU/Video/mobo temps closely. And of course you have to vary the route to eliminate the possibility you have a scenery issue in one area...possibly caused by a bad bgl, multiple AFCAD bgl files for the same area, a corrupt texture at an add-on airport or other scenery etc.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Might be too soon to say but I just finished a 2+ h flight without any problems after going back to FSUIPC 3.70 from 3.71.Can't say for sure I found the culprit after one single flight but fact is this was the first flight for about a week a managed to end successfully with no CTDs so I'm very happy and will do some more flying with v 3.70 and hopefully the CTDs are gone for now!Thanks Lee for sharing this tip and if it can be proved the problem indeed is the 3.71 version of FSUIPC we will hopefully see an upcoming fix for this.

Richard Åsberg

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I have FSUIPC v3.71 and I'm fairly sure that is not the problem! (Not that I know!) It seems to me to be a file conflict of some sort as after closing down FS the computer takes a good minute or more to sort itself out before you can go off to do anything else on it. That is a fairly new problem which includes the CTDs. Avast is always downloading updates and I reckon it's something to do with that.Andy.

Hi Andy,As you say it's hard to be sure about these kind of problems until you find some real proof what exactly is causing the problems but for me the problem went away (at least for now) after I went back to v 3.70 of FSUIPC and I'm happy regardless of whether it's FSUIPC that is the problem here or not...just want to be able to fly without beeing throwed back to the desktop without any notice ;-)

Richard Åsberg

Guest LeeWang

I been Flight simming since 95. I don't post in forums, just read them. This is first time I have had a CTD problem, which is why I started posting. Pete suggests I m the only one with this CTD problem. Maybe he right. However, my CTD is fixed with FSUIPC 3.70. I am not claiming this will fix every CTD out their, we all know many items can cause this. I do know that with my setup and FSUIPC 3.71 I do get CTD's.Registered users of FSUIPC, if you think you have the same issue I had, best to post it in Pete's forum. I will now return to just reading forums. Good luck everyone.Lee

Lee,I can see where you're coming from but just wanted to let you know I'm glad you posted about your problem and shared your findings and by doing so helped me!For me the most important thing is not if the problem is with program A or B but rather how to solve it because my main goal with FS is to have fun and that's hard when you get lots of CTDs :-)May your landings equal your takeoffs!

Richard Åsberg

Guest PARADISE

This may not relate to your particular problem, but about a year ago I suffered through the same type CTD's that you're getting. I also noticed that FS9 was taking several minutes to close when exiting using the normal method. While fault tracing the problem I noticed that my logbook entries were all screwed up. There were even entries that I did not make and some entries were entered twice. I deleted all the logbook entries then went into fs9.cfg and changed the LOG_FILE enry to read: LOG_FILE= . That's right I left it blank. Now I do not make any logbook entries and have had no CDT's since. Also, FS9 now only takes a few seconds to close.Like I said, I don't know if it is related but it worked for me....so far.John M

Hi John,I don't make any logbook entries and FS9 closes in just a couple of seconds so I don't think that's the problem in my case but thanks though for sharing your tips and I'll keep it in mind!

Richard Åsberg

Hi,I too am having the problem of unexplained instantaneous shut down of fs9. In my case I cannot then restart fs9 following one of these events unless I reboot my pc. Is this a common finding of others who have reported sudden CTD`sLike others, this problem has only recently started to appear, I have been flight simming since fs95 and have never been cursed with this highly annoying problem. What has changed to cause it? I am blowed if I know!Brian.

Hi Brian,Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same annoying problem!In my case I had no problem starting FS9 again, maybe you should check in Task Manager to see if the process FS9.exe is still in the processes list after the CTD and if it is try manually to end it before you fire FS up again.My problem went away after going back to FSUIPC v 3.70 from v 3.71 but if FSUIPC is the real culprit I can't say...but at least this downgrade seems to have sorted my problem because I haven't had a single CTD since.

Richard Åsberg

Guest 3202b

Just to add to this thread, I'm having exactly the same problem. It just started happening recently - my FS just randomly closes to desktop instantly with no warning at all. It also happens when I change default aircraft a few times.Q. Where can I get the older FSUIPC from?Cheers.

Gents,This subject has been a great help. I thought I was the only one that was having these abrub stops in FS9 and then CTD with no warning. These CTDs started in December. I have installed several new sceneries, planes, FSG,and Active Sky over the holidays so I figured maybe that one of my new addons was causing these new CTD. However, no one ever mentioned any problem with any of these new addons so I figured it is just my computer or corrupt file. I am not sure but I did replace FSUIPC 3.65 with 3.71 the first week in December. I can not remember having CTDs prior to December. Please understand I am not saying that this is the culprit but at least I will give give Fsuipc 3.7 a shot and see what happens. Should see some results in the next few days since I am planning a trip from Cloud9 KLAX to Fzone2 KPDX in a few hours and several other flights over the next few days,time permitting. These CTD only happen after at least 30 minutes to an hours into a flight. I have used different aircarft and different areas of the world in my flights. Mainly USA , and Europe and experienced CTD in both areas and different aircraft. CarlDell E510,P4-3.4ghz, 2gram, 7600GS.80gig SATA and external Maxtor-300Gig,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi All,This is a wierd problem for sure. I am going to try FSUIPC 3.70, although from what little I've read it's hardly necessary for a nearly standard installation of FS9.Bearing in mind that I know nothing about computers except to say that they are very like spoilt children and when tings aren't perfect, look out!! With that in mind I sorted out some textures which looked a bit blurred as the plane swings round in the 'choose a plane' window and deleted them, keeping just the unblurred ones in the folder. It appears to make things smoother and this morning I ran a 3 hour flight (!) with the screen off just to see how it was doing. Daft or what? I also changed a cloud texture from 1.2Mb to 63Kb which makes a fantastic difference to the smoothness using the Flyby Module.Andy.