Sign in to follow this  
curt1

Request landing from ATC

When flying VFR I can get the ATIS info about 80 miles from the airport. I'm not able to request a full stop landing from ATC until about 20 miles from the airport. Is this realistic in real world procedures? It seems a little late and hurried to position the aircraft that close to the airport.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

that's about normal...getting ATIS 80 miles away is not though :) I usually like to call tower about 10-12 miles out in real life. I first check ATIS @ distination, and if the conditions are okay, i cancel flight following, and return to 1200 sqawk for the local tower.FS9 however, doesn't do a very good job of simulating real world ATC. Sometimes, certain airports will have their own center/clearance, so they'll notice the traffic-tower before you arrive (as the case when i fly to KSBA). Santa Barabar's center will ask me to transition to tower usually about 8 miles out (keeping the same assigned sqawk). This feature is not simulated in FS9 unfortunally....along w/ a host of other ATC stuff.-feng