Sign in to follow this  
rjsagel

Defrag Question

Hello,Does anyone here know if after you defrag your Fs9 drive and then run fs9 - does the fs9 program "frag" files and require another defrag?I use Ultimate Defrag and it allows you to not only defrag by NAME but to also place selected files in the fastest possible download position (least head movement) of your drive. UD has increased my FPS (along with TWeakFPS) considerably. I put the FS9 scenery, addon scenery, tectures, etc in the high speed area. Since a defrag of this nature always starts "from scratch" and takes about 2 hours I don't really know how often I have to do this. (after each day, weekly, etc)BTW - neither has gotten me to a place where I can run FSX smoothly!Thanks in advance,Ron Sagel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

From their site:-<"Enjoy fast 3 to 5 minute complete defrags with "In-Place" DefraggingWith all the unused data placed out of the way of the data you use, it more or less stays out of the way of the defrag process. As a result, maintenance defrags finish fast. Usually - just a few minutes! UltimateDefrag also uses clever defragging algorithms that during certain defrag methods only moves files that it has to or only moves the fragments. This is called an "In-Place" Defrag. Assuming that you have a large 1 Gb file. 900 Mb is in one fragment and the other 100 Mb is in 10 fragments - UltimateDefrag only moves the 100 Mb of fragments and appends to the defragmented segment. This vastly shortens defrag runs. When you selected "Fragmented Files Only" method - defragging can actually be completed in "seconds"!>Hi Ron; I think once you've initially defragged your drive(s) and optimized the placing of your the files, all you have to use is the "Fragmented Files Only" function. I use Diskeeper: this runs constantly - but corrects on the fly, and with 2gigs of ram/XP 25+fps/FSX I don't even worry about its overhead, because it's so infrequent and with generally very small fragments. The only time you might want to do a full defrag is after a large install or uninstall - like MegaScenery SOCAL, for e.g. Running this, in league with a registry cleaner, will keep your machine in tiptop condition.. . and the only answer to the performance issue at this moment, at any rate - is hardware, Matt Fox's fixes, and a couple of other AvSim posted tweaks.