Sign in to follow this  
Guest JamesMc

Scenery Help

I have been flying in New Zealand as of late. Unfortunately the scenery there looks horrendous for me. I'm not sure why. I have tried all sorts of other places in the world and everywhere else appears ok. This isn't a simple case of the "blurries" as the airports in NZ seem fine.Any ideas on what might be causing this? Or how to fix it? I can't afford to buy scenery right now and I'm really looking to solve the problem.Any help would be appreciated. Here are a few shots to show what I mean.6%38%30-2007-feb-27-011.jpg6%38%30-2007-feb-27-006.jpg6%38%30-2007-feb-27-005.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, this doesn't look too good.Is this FS9 or FSX ? Furthermore, you do not give any info as to what you have tried yourself. So here are some general things to take a look at, based on FS9 (FS2004).Check if your standard "Oceania" scenery is active in your scenery library. This "Oceana" scenery should refer to the "Ocen" folder in your main FS9/Scenery folder. The "Oceana" scenery should be visible below "South America" in your Scenery library.Have a look at your FS2004/Scenery/Ocen folder. Within the Ocen folder the scenery folder should contain about 967 .bgl files. The texture folder should contain 26 .bmp files. The Ocen folder itself should be about 15.2 Mb (Size on disk)in total. Small differences with your Ocen folder are possible depending on addon sceneries in this area.However, if you have any great differences with these figures then your Ocen folder is probably corrupted and you should re-install it from the original FS9 CDs."I can't afford to buy scenery right now".Ther's lots of NZ freeware scenery around in the AVSIM and other libraries. However, these will not solve your basic problem. Hope this helps.Hans

Thanks for the reply Hans. It's a good start. Bear with my ignorance with this matter as it's beyond my normal FS scope.This is for FS9.My Oceania scenery is active in my library. My scenery folder, within the Ocen folder, contains 968 bgl files. One of them is called AT9OCEN0.BGL_ORIG which leads me to believe that something was changed in the folder. Could this affect my scenery as shown above? Or could it be because I tried VOZ my last attempt?Inside the texture folder, within the Ocen folder, are 26 .bmp files. What have I tried? Well I tried a landclass and mesh(free 75m) from Red Baron with no change, other than the mountain shapes looking better. I also tried using the VOZ SE scenery to see if it would look better. The effect was pretty much the same. It still has the weird "spots" and really crappy looking areas.If I was to re-install the Ocen folder do I just overwrite what I have now? Never done anything from the original so it's new territory for me. Once again thanks for your help.JamesMc

The AT9 files are just the waypoint files used for the GPS and flight planner. I don't see how it would have any effect at all.You can always back up your current ocen folder, und unpack the cab from disk4. However, any addons or modifications to the default textures in the world folder would be unaffected. In fact, I can't think of anything in the ocen folder that would cause your problem.scott s..

Scott, you are right of cause but suspecting JamesMC's "OCEN" folder was just my first shot based on his first very limited information. He however does state that his scenery problem only concernes New Zealand and not any other parts of the world, which for me would initialy rule out any problems in his "World" folder. But I'm always prepared to learn more, so if you or anyone else has further suggestions, I'm happy to listen.Now then JamesMC, I do find it very strange that especially a file like "AT9OCEN0.bgl" in your "OCEN/Scenery" folder has been renamed, probably due to an automatic installer program which was used to install some kind of addon sceneries in the past. I have never trusted installer programs (or their uninstallers) and will never do so either because of the unpredictable nature of the problems they can cause, especially in combination with existing standard or addon sceneries. However, if all is well you should still have a "AT9OCEN0.bgl" file directly above or below the renamed one. If so then you should rename this file to e.g. "AT9OCEN0.NZNEW" and rename the renamed one back to "AT9OCEN0.bgl". Start up your FS9 and see if anything has changed. If not then maybe Scott has further suggestions but please first also "go to" (from the FS9 World drop down menu) to some other airports on e.g. islands in the Pacific and have a fly around there to see if you have the same problems there also.If however, a "AT9OCEN0.bgl" file does not exist above or below your renamed one then you may have to copy this single file or the whole "OCEN" folder from the FS9 CD disk 4 and overwrite your existing one with it.Dont forget to back-up your existing "OCEN" folder before you start actually messing about with it.Good luckHans

I based my thoughts on looking at his screen shots -- In the first one it appears that utilities (UT9) and roads (RD9) are showing. In the second mesh (DEM) appears to be showing. In the third water (HP9) and coastlines (HL9) appear to be showing.All these are from the ocen folder. But the landclass is from the base and world folders, in particular the landclass textures, unless an addon landclass file is installed.scott s..

I tried the VOZ after everything else to see if it was a ground texture problem. Didin't help.Anyways the problem is fixed. Not sure why but here's what I did.I used flightsim manager and scanned the scenery. I then told it to fix the problems. After restarting FS it wouldn't work. Came up with an error and said FS2004 would have to be reinstalled. Well that kind of sucked and being short on time I decided to try a restore point I made the day before(a day I still had above mentioned problems). After restoring I loaded up FS with no problems. Went to NZ to check the scenery and everything works fine.I'm not sure why it works. I don't know alot about this stuff...but it works. Everything seems to work just fine.Thanks for the responses and help offered. I appreciate it :)

Hey there Scott and James,All's well that ends well, even although the exact reasons cannot always be ascertained.James, after your restore, is that "AT9OCEN0.BGL_ORIG" file still present in your Scenery/OCEN/Scenery folder ? I'm just inquisitive.Scott, thanks for the lesson. I've always been busting my brains about the functions of standard scenery files like UT9..., RD9..., HP9..., etc.Hans

Hans,I just went and checked and yes that file is still there. Wish I could tell you guys what fixed the problem but I don't think I'll ever know.James