Sign in to follow this  
cat3appr

How to Make FS9 Config Changes Permanent

Posted in another AVSIM area and thought I would post here as well. I originally had an ATI X 600 video card and replaced it with an ATI X850. I removed all former X600 drivers and associated Catalyst, and upgraded drivers, Catalyst, etc. for the X850. Looked in the FS9 config and I had lines of code in config for both the X600 and the X850. Removed the lines of code for the X600 and also added some lines associated with recommended FS9 tweaks at the same time, i.e. I added/revised for the following just below SOUND_QUALITY=4 (and then saved the changes when complete):(DISPLAY.Device.RADEON X850 Series.0)Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1(DISPLAY)UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=10After doing this FS9 ran with much better graphics and fluidity. Other day I took a look in FS9 config and the lines of code for the ATI X600 I had removed were back in again, and the code put in as noted above for the FS9 tweaks was gone and back to what looked like the original FS9 config code. After making the noted FS9 config changes I had subsequently added Active Sky 6.5 and Ground Environment Pro. What may have happened that my FS9 config changes (per FS9 recommended tweaks) got subsequently revised without me touching it and how did code that I removed for the old video card get back in there again? What do I do to get rid of all code associated with the old X600 card, and make additions/revisions to code for recommended FS9 tweaks and have them stay

Guest ThrottleUp

If I remember right the FS9.cfg (and some tweaks you make) are reset each time you make an adjustment in the sim using the sliders. Perhaps this can be confirmed by a fellow simmer but Im sure this is the case.I have noticed this effect too so what I think you can do is:1. Delete your FS9.cfg2. Fire up FS9 and let it rebuild a fresh one3. Set all the sliders in the sim to exactly how you want them.4. Exit the sim.5. Open your FS9.cfg and apply any tweaks.6. Close the .cfg and immediately take a copy-paste of it7. Put the copy somewhere else your hard disk.I woud also advice pasting your FS9.cfg into a word-processor and then changing the font colour of the tweaked lines - if in the future you need to re-enter those tweaks into your current .cfg they will be very easy to pick out.

Here is what I do when I install a new driver. First off download and install Driver Cleaner Pro http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745#download then:1. Download and save new driver to desktop.2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and delete old driver.3. Go to Start, Programs, Run and type in msconfig. Go to boot.ini and select

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks much Rob, Niven, etc.I followed Niven's instructions in parallel with the instructions from another great posting by Cruachan in the AVSIM Microsoft Flight Simulator/MS FSX Forum/MS Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks/topic #676 at:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=676&mode=fulland all is fixed, FS runs great, and the FS tweaks have stayed permanent and all video card references are now current and accurate. I'm in the process of following Rob's recommendations for updating the video card drivers as well. Anyway, all is great, and thanks much for the help. Appreciate it.