Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

cat I,cat II ,cat III-What cat?

Hi everyoneI am trying to understand the autopilot options in the level d 767and pmdg.I was wondering if some one would be kind and help me undersatnd thevarious 'cats' and when do you use them.Also in a previous thread there was mention of real world pilots preferring to choose manual landings.Could you please tell me what height would you switch autolanding to off-and would you switch auto throttle off at the same time or later.I have tried manual landings and I find it very difficult to maintainlanding speeds.I seem to either under or over shoot the speeds.Do real pilots switch auto throttle off just before touch down?Many thanks for your help.Qas

The auto throttle on a real plane auto shuts off at touch down. Not on the LVD though. I have a button programmed on my yoke for the A/T and another for the A/P. I leave the A/T set to my FMC REF speed +5 KTS (my own personal preference)I shut the auto pilot off at the 1000ft callout or the Final Approach Fix (depends) and the A/T at 50ft.CAT I/II/III are for the RVR (for example CAT I is 1800RVR). Basic way to put it is the lower the RVR, the higher the CAT. Some planes are not equipped for CAT III landings.If you want a great book with some great tecniques, get Mike Ray's real world 757/767 sim and check ride manual. It's full of great stuff like all the landing tecniques.

Actually the CAT classes are explained in his less expensive common-to-all-models book Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators in his PC Simulator Series. See his website at www.utem.com for a description.This book concentrates on generic flight operations/procedures and managing the FMC applicable to all Boeing glass cockpits. It is not about any specific systems as the dedicated manuals are.

Yes a great book as well. But the specific aircraft manuals are amazing.I actually own all of Mike's books. He is also a very down to earth guy.I'm looking forward to his new Airbus Manual. I know my virtual Airbus passengers can't wait for me to get it ;)