Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeMiraglia

Landing the MD-11

Guest MikeMiraglia

I need a little help landing my Overland MD-11. I keep landing with a pitch of nearly 10 degrees, which is close to scraping the tail. I tried forcing myself to keep the nose down but then my vertical speed got out of control. With full flaps at 157 KIAS I can't seem to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Turning the AP off before landing and putting the nose down works for me. Why cant you push the nose down?

Have you checked your fuel? If you have to much fuel (to heavy), you will get to much pitchangle.Someone correct me if I am wrong, but on a MD-11 you should not have more than 25 - 30% fuel left when landing. ;-)

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

The Overland Flight Dynamics are not perfect, so it may not be a "pilot error" :). Do you use full flaps?

Guest MikeMiraglia

Hi all, I just woke up and noticed I had a few responses."Why can't you push the nose down?" I can, but then I end up pushing my V/S to nearly -500FPM. I think that it is the pilot's viewpoint in the virtual cockpit that is making it hard for me to determine my flare. The view seems a touch on the high side."Do you use full flaps?"Yes"Have you checked your fuel?"I have been landing with about 50% fuel onboard. When I get home I will try it at 20% or so and see what happens.Thanks for all the input everyone.

There is a cheatingly devious way to get around the problem :DOpen the aircraft.cfg file, and find the flaps section:{Flaps.0} (SQUARE BRACKETS in aircraft.cfg!!)type=1span-outboard=0.602extending-time=30.000system_type=0damaging-speed=235.000blowout-speed=300.000lift_scalar=1.000drag_scalar=1.000pitch_scalar=1.000flaps-position.0=0.000flaps-position.1=2.000flaps-position.2=5.000flaps-position.3=15.000flaps-position.4=20.000flaps-position.5=25.000flaps-position.6=30.000flaps-position.7=40.000This is an entry from an old 727Hope this helps! :)

Guest MikeMiraglia

I think I will give that a try just for fun, but I have figured out my problem. Apparently I have been deceived by the pilot's viewpoint in the virtual cockpit, which is where I fly from. I tried landing in the 2D cockpit view and hit the concrete at 4 degrees. I think I will need to alter the default view height in the VC so that it is a touch more authentic. I would probably have less problems if I would pay more attention to my gauges instead of checking out the view.