Sign in to follow this  
Skyline51

Ooops...I think

Help!I've gone and done a bo-bo! In an attempt to fix a 'hovering' DC6 (see attached), I've been using the nav light method. Each time I've had to close down FS and then bring up my .cfg file to edit it. No big whoop there. But, by mistake, I've checked the use this program box when telling XP to read the cfg file with notepad. Now, all of the cfg's are shown with notepad icons instead of the configuration icons. To this end, I don't think FS is reading them as a cfg file.:-zhelp Any ideas here to fix this would be great!Cheers,Jim

don't believe you will have a problem with this as FS 'goes out' and finds what it wants based on filename and extension. the 'connection' between a cfg and notepad is only XP's way of dealing with the file is the icon is opened v. another program accessing the file.example: all my air files are connected with airedit ... no FS.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Thanks for that! It had me worried!Now to address the problem of a floating plane....arg :-samurai :-samurai Jim

Jim,Aircraft.cfg editing only requires a save and a reload of aircraft. FS shutdown is not needed, except as noted below. You can/should even assign a key combo - I use CTRL+F11 - and you're back to the testing in a couple of moments. BTW, I've always used notepad.edit; Control+S to save; Alt+tab to return to FS; CTRL+F11 to reload AC and resume (whatever).... maybe 4-10 seconds from edit to flight. I will pass on something I didn't used to know... If the AC that you are editing is being used actively as AI (as many default AC are), you may very well have to restart the sim because that config was/is in use by the ai so changes would not be in effect EVEN in your user aircraft. If you do a lot of this kind of stuff, then a quick work-around would be to make a single-variation duplicate with an altered title - which the AI won't be using; finalize your edits and then apply them to the shared version while 'offline' to minimize the FS restarts.Loyd