Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Vicious t-storm departure ex-KSFO

I just departed KSFO 28L in terrible wx in the PMDG 744 pax. It was raining heavily with winds at 18k, gusting 30k. On takeoff roll, wind shifted in a huge arc from 236 deg to 320 by rotation, shifting 40 degrees between V1 and Vr. This was a horrific departure at MGTOW (870K lbs) but somehow it worked quite well, even with the air speed trend vector shifting +30 and -20-25 knots, sometimes covering a range 50 knots in under a second on climbout.This sim and these sophisticated add-ons are totally amazing. Also, you have to respect the folks who drive these gigantic flying machines with hundreds of us pax in the back. JS

Hi,You certainly pushed it to the limits, maybe over it!.How did you manage to keep the centerline, I always drift away from it, sometimes way too much. :-(But she is called Queen of the skies afterall!Did you record it?JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE..http://www.jdserver.mine.nu/johan

Johan:It is pretty tought keeping on centerline in these dreadful conditions but with my extensive hardware set-up and Triplehead2Go it is easier to do this and is very immersive and realistic. The stick shaker also went off for brief moments here and there shortly after rotation because I had to fight to keep the speed more or less at V2+10. I actually did four practice takeoffs in these conditions and climbed out by hand to flaps up.I didn't record it but now that you mention it perhaps I should do so and post it here if that is possible (?)The Queen is always magnificent in any weather and conditions. The PMDG 744 is a real gem in particular.How are you?JS

What's great about the simulator is that you were able to try this. Obviously, in the real world the flight would have been delayed until the storm blew by. I've been trying more to do a more real world approach to a round the US tour I've been doing this summer in the Cheyenne. I've been doing my flight planning based on the current weather. If my departure airport has a current TS, I delay the flight. If the arrival has a TS when I take-off, I make sure the drift and speed of the TS is such that it will be cleared out from the arrival when I get there. i.e. just trying to fly safe. Mike